Motor Shield V2 - Steppers Not Responding

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lprowe2

Motor Shield V2 - Steppers Not Responding

Post by lprowe2 »

This issue seems to have popped up overnight. I have an Arduino Uno and Motor Shield V2 controlling 2 Nema 17 stepper motors for an x-y stage. I was able to upload code and run the stepper motors, then the computer stopped recognizing that the Arduino was connected. After resolving the issue I could run the stepper motors again. The next day the stepper motors stopped working, I can still load simple programs like blink but when I load a StepperTest program, which has worked in the past, the motors will receive power, but will not turn. I've tried resoldering all suspect joints and checking for bad connections with a multimeter without success. The x-y stage can be controlled manually and in turn the motors as well. Is it possible that manual operation damaged the motorshield with a current spike, and if this is the case does the Motorshield need to be replaced or is there a simpler solution? Thanks for your help in advance.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Shield V2 - Steppers Not Responding

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

2 Nema 17 stepper motors
Are they the ones from our store? If not, please post the electrical specs.
the motors will receive power, but will not turn
How do you know they are getting power? Do they hum or make noise? Is there noticeable holding torque?
Is it possible that manual operation damaged the motorshield with a current spike,
That will push some current through the shield, but unless it was particularly rapid movement I don't think it would be enough to cause damage.

If you post some photos of of the front & back of the shield we can take a look for any visible issues.

lprowe2

Post by lprowe2 »

Hi Bill, thanks for the quick response. The stepper motors are the ones from your store.

Initially I checked for the potential across each coil, but I went back and checked the current through each coil and received nothing. There was also no noticeable holding torque on either motor. Although, when neither power supply is connected to the Arduino and either motor is turned manually, the green power light lights up.

I attached three pictures of the board and can post more if useful. Thanks again.
Attachments
IMG_4855.JPG
IMG_4855.JPG (724.72 KiB) Viewed 430 times
IMG_4859.JPG
IMG_4859.JPG (334.41 KiB) Viewed 430 times
IMG_4856.JPG
IMG_4856.JPG (587.68 KiB) Viewed 430 times

lprowe2

Post by lprowe2 »

When reviewing my post, I noticed the 5v solder joint looked iffy. Went back and touched it up and everything works again. Not sure how things stopped working in the first place but problem solved. Thanks for your assistance.

adafruit_support_bill

A solder joint like that might conduct fine for a while. But eventually, oxidation can work its way between the surfaces and degrade the connection. In any case, it's good to hear you've got it working now.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Take a look at this video for some help on soldering. Several of the other pins look like they could use some attention.

steezygiraffe

Post by steezygiraffe »

I am encountering a similar issue but I have not gotten my NEMA 17 Steppers to go at all. I have the same scenario where if I turn the shaft of the stepper, the light will come on regardless if there is a power supply hooked up. I have touched up the soldering on the board three times now, and given myself a third degree burn in the process :(. My soldering is not great but I can't see anything that pops out to me right when I look at it. Just like in the previous post, the arduino will still run function like blink but anything with the motor shield does not even give a hint of working. Any help is appreciated :)
Attachments
Photo on 9-16-14 at 10.22 PM.jpg
Photo on 9-16-14 at 10.22 PM.jpg (218.19 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

@steezygiraffe did you look at the video I linked above? You picture is blury but from what I ca n see the green ones look OK and the red ones need work. Get some solder braid and remove some of the excess solder and try again.
Attachments
2014-09-16_20h56_05.png
2014-09-16_20h56_05.png (425.5 KiB) Viewed 390 times

adafruit_support_bill

It's hard to see much detail there, but there are a number of suspicious looking joints there. Please review this guide for tip on identifying and fixing problem solder joints: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

steezygiraffe

Post by steezygiraffe »

After your suggestion, I resoldered and took some better pics this time. The stepper test still did not work though.
Attachments
adafruit.jpg
adafruit.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 368 times
adafruits.jpg
adafruits.jpg (57.37 KiB) Viewed 368 times

adafruit_support_bill

Please post the electrical specifications for the motor you are using.

steezygiraffe

Post by steezygiraffe »

NEMA17 12V 0.4A 2-phase 4-wire 2.6kg.cm 1.8 degree 34mm
Stepper
Step angle : 1.8 deg.
voltage : 12 V
current : 0.4 A
Resistence: 30 Ω
Inductance: 35 mH
Holding torque : 2.8 kg.cm
Insulation class: B
Mass : 0.22 kg

adafruit_support_bill

That should be fine. Are you sure you have the wiring right? With the wires disconnected, test the resistance between the red & blue and also the resistance between the green & black.

steezygiraffe

Post by steezygiraffe »

I tested the resistance with a multimeter, there is resistance when green and black pair, and likewise when the red and blue are paired. I will mess around with that and see if there are any new results.

adafruit_support_bill

Sounds like you have the wiring right them.

The solder joint on +5v looks like a probable cold joint. The GND pins look a little suspicious too. The critical pins for this shield are +5v, GND, A4 and A5 (if you are using an UNO) SDA and SCL.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”