pySimReader Serial Win32 can't run on my win98 platform!

Talk about the videos and projects (SIM reader, payphones...)

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
AlexFomine

pySimReader Serial Win32 can't run on my win98 platform!

Post by AlexFomine »

Hi, Please tell why does the pySim serial for windows not run on my PC ? I have win 98 and microsoft smart card components already installed but it does'nt work!

AlexFomine

Post by AlexFomine »

Hi, please tell me what is the problem. I have windows 98 and microsoft smart card components installed. I have already built the sim reader interface. I downloaded the file pySimReader-Serial-Win32.zip and unzip it, but when I try to run pySimReader.exe, an error occured telling me to see log file which shows:
cette application n'a pu être trouvée.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pySimReader.py", line 30, in <module>
File "wx\__init__.pyc", line 45, in <module>

File "wx\_core.pyc", line 4, in <module>

File "wx\_core_.pyc", line 12, in <module>

File "wx\_core_.pyc", line 10, in __load

ImportError: DLL load failed: Une des bibliothèques nécessaires à l'exécution de cette application n'a pu être trouvée.
Please tell me what should I do to run it correctly. It's not "ready-to-go executable as it's mentioned.. Please help me, I have spent time for building the SimReader programmer and I dont want to loose it. Thank you in advance.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well, win98 is now 10 years old, you dont have access to any newer computer???

AlexFomine

Post by AlexFomine »

Hi, thak you for your reply anyway but please tell me a real solution. I am not the only win 98 user!

mooseheadm5

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Well, for starters, you could translate the French to English for us. I think it says it is missing a library or some such thing. If the software was written for XP, it just might not be backward compatible. As much as I hated to do it, I upgraded to XP because I was running out of programs that were compatible. Sorry, the answer just might be that you have to upgrade if you want to use it. You won't get very far by sounding insulting to our host, by the way.

AlexFomine

Post by AlexFomine »

The translation of:<<ImportError: DLL load failed: Une des bibliothèques nécessaires à l'exécution de cette application n'a pu être trouvée>> is:
<<ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the needed libraries to run this application was not found>>
Anyway, I understand and I will try it on xp. I am very grateful to you and I thank you very much.

Post by 2600 »

The pivotal factor here will be the age of the device.

And the API that was used to write the driver code either included W99 options in it, or it did not.

If it was designed when W99 support had not yet been dropped, the code probably includes W99 modules that will work.

But if it was developed after this support was dropped by the supplier, you would have to develop it yourself.

I upgraded from W97 to W99 solely to obtain USB support. Sure, 'Doze 97 (W95 OSR2) SAID it had USB support. But only for gadgets released before the drop-dead date for W97 support. My HP camera would only speak to a W99 (98 SE) box. Had to buy one to make the camera do anything useful.

Old USB devices will have driver code that talks to W99. Newer ones just won't. At the very end of the support era for W99, USB gadgets would come with no drivers. XP would already have them. To use these under W99 required you to download a driver file. To no large surprise, I found that many of these drivers just, plain would NOT work. Making drivers that actually worked on the old operating system was apparently NOT a real priority for some manufacturers.

It's all determined by whether or not the developers chose to defy M$ and its policies that outlaw backwards compatibility for commercial products.

But I see two practical choices. Writing your own drivers is not one of these.

1) Buy a USB widget old enough to work with /98/99.

2) Upgrade to an operating system that supports a USB thingy too new for '99.

Gotta wonder why there has never been a successful business model for adapting new widgets to old operating systems. Maybe the lawsuit potential makes it look unprofitable.

M$ makes it mandatory for manufacturers of 'Doze-compatible code to DROP support for old operating systems from their products whenever M$ dictates it. They must play along with this policy or risk losing their access to THEIR own support from M$.

I believe your only practical hope is to obtain an older version of this device, if it exists.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

AlexFomine wrote:Hi, thak you for your reply anyway but please tell me a real solution. I am not the only win 98 user!
download and install python and pyserial and run the script not the exe, perhaps if you install the python libraries yourself you will get the correct versions

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Citizen Engineer (closed)”