12" eTape Liquid Level Sensor Problem

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Alrowaimi

12" eTape Liquid Level Sensor Problem

Post by Alrowaimi »

Dear Sir/Madam,

I sent an email this morning regarding my problem to [email protected]. After which, I was asked to post my problem here, in order to allow Adafruit technical Support and engineers to assist me. here is my email:

We are a research group at University of Central Florida. My Advisor ordered a 12" eTape Liquid Level Sensor. I had a problem with the sensor, since the resistance reading can not be stabilize; It fluctuates too much and generally keep dropping (never stop at any value). Also, when it socked up to the max level, the resistance reading is about 800 ohms, which much more than what specified in the data sheet (400 ohms +/- 10%). Actually, I contacted the manufacturer of the eTape Sensor and they suggested some stuff which I did but it didn't not work. After which, they suggested that we buy another sensor and see what happened with the reading. Thus, we purchased five (5) more sensors from you (adafruit). I personally checked and calibrated all of them and they were initially in very good condition and the plotted graphs (water depth vs. resistance) agree with the data sheet, so I realized that the first sensor either was a defective one or something wrong was occurred either during handling or calibration.

Hence, I would like you to help me by either fixing or replacing the defective sensor, because we need this sensor for our sensor network research as soon as possible.

Here is the Order Confirmation No: 226018

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Regards,

Mohamed Alrowaimi
Geotechnical-PhD Student at University of Central Florida
[email protected]

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 12" eTape Liquid Level Sensor Problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi, we should be able to fix or replace this. Can you first tell us the manufacturer's suggestions that you tried?

Alrowaimi

Post by Alrowaimi »

1-They ask me to first check all my connections, so I remove all the isolation sleeves and re-solder my wires.
2-They also asked to use cold air dryer on the vent hole in case it might be wet or humid.
3- I even tried different type of multimeters, and Arduino uno but it did not work.
while, with the new (5) sensors, the reading was very realistic and reliable.

Thank you,

adafruit_support_bill

OK. Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and they will send you out a replacement sensor.

Alrowaimi

Post by Alrowaimi »

OK Thank you very much

ghoover

Post by ghoover »

I have a similar issue. My sensor worked for a while and now drifts uncontrollably. The values that were once stable at a particular water depth are now totally off. I just emailed the manufacturer. Is this a common problem with these sensors? I need something that will be stable.

adafruit_support_bill

These sensors are fairly simple in operation and tend to be very stable. If it was working for a while and is drifting now, there may be some other issue with your circuit. A loose connection or a bad ground cound cause those symptoms.

vigilanf

Post by vigilanf »

I had a similar issue, which I fixed by putting a 2 second delay before and after the level sensor readings in my loop. I was driving relays in the same loop, which was sucking up too much power. Try isolating your sensor reading by putting 2 second delays before and after...it should work.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”