Wrap-around and scrolling support for LCDs

Forum announcements

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sridhar_rajagopal

Wrap-around and scrolling support for LCDs

Post by sridhar_rajagopal »

Hi,

I had updated the Adafruit_CharLCD.py to include support for automatically wrapping around longer text, and also added a new method for scrolling arbitrary length text from right to left (just call lcd.scrollingMessage("This is a really long message that will scroll slowly from left to write") ), when doing my Instructable for a Raspberry Pi Stock Ticker (see http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... store-LCD/).

I also added code to make it work with my 8x2 (that looks like a 16x1) surplus store LCD.

I thought the changes might interest others working with LCDs too, so I'm sharing it here. It would not allow me to upload a .py file, so I've renamed them to .txt - don't forget to rename to .py!

Cheers,
Sridhar
Attachments
stockTicker.txt
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Adafruit_CharLCD.txt
(8.16 KiB) Downloaded 476 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Wrap-around and scrolling support for LCDs

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Thank you! I'm sure that will get a lot of use.

TheSlider

Re: Wrap-around and scrolling support for LCDs

Post by TheSlider »

Greetings,

Thank you a lot sridhar_rajagopal, this works fine with an lcd screen i recovered from an old printer, it's a 1x16 characters lcd with 14 pins (14x1, no backlight), a VHX1610A.

I initially used this tutorial from Mikey Sklar to wire everything up but used a resistor instead of a potentiometer (no need to adjust) and noticed the lcd didn't display the test correctly as It's considered to be 2 lines of 8 chars just like you (2x8). See here for more info : http://spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/LCD_How_To.html

I wish the Adafruit_CharLCD api was updated on github to provide support for these characteristics. Initializing with lcd.begin(16,1) or lcd.begin(8,2) gave the same result (only shows the first 8 chars for each "line").

Note : Please use spaces instead of tabs in the code and be consistent !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Announcements”