You love it!

Forum announcements

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
magician13134

You love it!

Post by magician13134 »

Have you installed some kind of spam protection? I set up a PHPBB3 forum about a week ago, and I have thousands of spam posts already! I have a CAPTCHA, but it doesn't seem to be working....

skunk workz

Re: You love it!

Post by skunk workz »

magician13134 wrote:Have you installed some kind of spam protection? I set up a PHPBB3 forum about a week ago, and I have thousands of spam posts already! I have a CAPTCHA, but it doesn't seem to be working....
I run a number of PHPBB forums, and have successfully cut the spam bots off with this plugin (which is actually just a few edits):

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... b_id=10115

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

actualyl what is sad is these people are registering by hand :(

SiliconFarmer

Post by SiliconFarmer »

Could it be spambots using humans via a mechanical turk system to solve the captchas?

http://siliconvalleysleuth.co.uk/2007/1 ... hanic.html

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

not unlikely. they are also spamming in a strange way where they post an 'innocuous' note first
i think they follow it up with spam later or hope it gets buried and then they change the sig
they all seem to be coming from yahoo.in and gmail.com

mwr

Post by mwr »

In my experience, by the time I've gotten a spammer, their IP or email had already been listed at http://www.stopforumspam.com/. A phpbb3 mod to hook into their database is here.

Of course, you might already be using this, in which case, your spammers are more sophisticated than mine were.

amberwolf

Post by amberwolf »

There's a new way of doing it now, which I just saw on this board. Seems stupid, but they are making what looks like a normal post, almost relevant to topic, then below that they have what looks like blank space but is actually a bunch of links to their spam sites that are text colored the same as the forum background.

These are a quotes of the ones I just reported:
[quote="rose2009"]Hi, your idea is very interesting , I really like it. Thanks a lot :o

[redacted]

[quote="jennyfifi"]Thanks for your sharing. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

[redacted]

(Mods feel free to delete the quoted text after you see it, if you need to)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

oh smart!
ok thanks for letting us know

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Announcements”