Wireless Arduino programming/serial link

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
psuhas

Wireless Arduino programming/serial link

Post by psuhas »

Hi,

I have question on connection detail for "Arduino classic". This one has FT232RL chip on it so Tx/RX from FT232RL are already connected to Mega Tx/Rx pins. When I want to use XBee Tx/Rx pins, do have to break those PCB tracks?

Can I connect the XBee Tx/Rx lines without breaking the connections from FT232RL or will it interfere in XBee communication?

Also can any one give some more details on Receiver side connections? I tried connecting Tx,Rx, Vcc and Gnd connections. When AVR sends +++ on serial port I do not see anything comming back from XBee. (I also tried sending an extra character before +++, still no change)

Please help!
Suhas

blalor

Re: Wireless Arduino programming/serial link

Post by blalor »

It's not clear to me exactly which board you're using, but that it shouldn't really matter. :) If you want to use an XBee with any Arduino board, simply connect TX on the Arduino to RX on the XBee, and TX on the XBee to RX on the Arduino. As long as you're not trying to communicate with both the XBee and the FT232RL, you'll be fine.

As for not seeing a response to the '+++' command, do you have the baud rate configured properly on your terminal program? The XBee modules default to 9600 baud. How are you connecting the XBee to your computer?

psuhas

Post by psuhas »

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I am using custom avr mega128 board but it has similar features with FT323RL chip onit.

About the Baud, yes it is set to 9600 on both sides. If connect it thr' FT232 (using USB connection on PC) it works just fine, so I know it is not a problem of baud (I think)

Any help

Thx

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well, first get the computer-xbee connection working. are you using an adafruit kit setup or 'diy style'?

psuhas

Post by psuhas »

Hi,

It is working. Just want to update if some one is looking for similar issue. Even if FT232RL is connected in the circuit, it will not be active till you connect the USB connection to PC. So You can use the XBee connection for wireless and USB for wired, but only one at a time

Thanks for your help
Suhas

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”