wireless switching with xbee [updated]

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
piovertwo

wireless switching with xbee [updated]

Post by piovertwo »

Hello there, I've got a fairly simple (i think?!) project I'm trying to set up where I have one xbee connected to a computer->arduino, and I'd like it through code (processing, openframeworks, whateva) to signal to 13 remote xbee's when to turn something on or off. Now the component side on the 13 nodes isn't too tricky, probably a relay or transitor that controls a little light, with the base load being the signal from the xbee.

Now I know there are several DIO pins (8?) on the xbee...however, when i hook mine up simply to mr computer, it refuses to do any DIO calls...

eg.

+++OK
AT
- OK -
ATMY
- 0 -
ATD0 5
- ERROR -
ATD0 4
- ERROR -

eventually i'd of course be designating the serials and using all the AT fanciness to address which specific xbee node, etc. but i can't seem to even get this simple one working!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
keith

[edit]

fyi, i'm also on a mac, which means...gasp...no xctu. i think the error has to do with either 1) needed to enable those ports for DIO, or 2) maybe i got the infamous "series 2" xbees? i've heard there are issues with DIO on them and its better to do series one...

[edit]

update:

so i've managed to get xctu up and running on Parallels, passing the port from osx and getting all of my xctu goodness. looks like i'm on xb24 xbee 802.15.4, firmware 1084. this would explain the lack of DIO. however, can't upgrade the firmware to 10CD...looked through forums at posts, have tried everything, can't seem to get her going...if anyone has any suggestions as far as 1) how to upgrade the firmware, but also 2) ways of achieving what i need without having to upgrade the firmware, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

adafruit

Re: wireless switching with xbee [updated]

Post by adafruit »

others have had difficulty with upgrading the xbees using parellels. I've bugged Digi to release a mac v of XCTU but until then maybe distract a PC user with a beer and quickly update all your modems? :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”