Putting 5v on std XBEE receiver, causes fast blinking LED

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Zot

Putting 5v on std XBEE receiver, causes fast blinking LED

Post by Zot »

I was trying to convert my Tweet-a-Tempto a wall wart.

I currently have it using a battery pack, but I want to bury the unit under the hot tub deck.

The XBEE transmitter is configured (AT wise) exactly like a transmitter from Tweet-A-Watt.

When I applied 5V (or so) of voltage to pin 6, the XBEE wakes up, the LED goes nuts blinking for a few seconds, and then nothing. Sometimes the LED blinks again. My receiver does not receive any messages (I have not hooked it up to X-CTU, but it did not receive any measurements.

This happened with multiple 5v adapters.

I wired it so the 3V output still powers the voltage dividers.

Looking at the XBEE receiver circuit, the only difference I see is that the Voltage regulator has +5V on one side (which was floating prior).

I am not touching any of the other signals. My dividers use GND, AD0 and AD4.

When I switch back to battery and only use pin 10 for 3V, everything works again.

Reading the XBEE pdf, I see that the ASSOC/DI05 pin is an indicator of network joining:
The Associate pin indicates the network status of a device. If the module is not joined to a network, the Associate pin is set high. Once the module successfully joins a network, the Associate pin blinks at a regular time interval. The LT command defines the blink time of the Associate pin. If set to 0, the device uses the default blink time (500ms for coordinator, 250ms for routers and end devices).
So this could blinking 4 Hz to indicate end device, but why doesn’t that happen at 3V?

Could the regulator be shot? I see that the standard Ada Fruit FTDI cableis 3.3V, is 5v just not tested?

adafruit

Re: Putting 5v on std XBEE receiver, causes fast blinking LED

Post by adafruit »

the FTDI cables give power at 5V and signal at 3v so thats not it.
do you have a photo of your transmitter minus the xbee?

Zot

Post by Zot »

100_1670.JPG
100_1670.JPG (422.77 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
and
100_1589.JPG
100_1589.JPG (705.62 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Thanks!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you should resolder/flow all the joints especially the ones on the 3.3v regulator
then post another photo, maybe less glare-y?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”