p4400 with the internals of a P4460

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wyngnut

p4400 with the internals of a P4460

Post by wyngnut »

Hi,

I have a standard P4400 KAW, when I open it up it actually has the internals of a P4460 (EZ). The ribbon cable between the boards is at the top of the device (instead of the side). So the Tweet A Watt doesn't fit inside (I have also read from the forum that the power supply isn't as strong in the P4460).

Where can I buy a standard P4400 (as is show in the build for the Tweet a Watt)?

Thanks
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (111.22 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
photo 2.jpg
photo 2.jpg (193.93 KiB) Viewed 1547 times

adafruit

Re: p4400 with the internals of a P4460

Post by adafruit »

i recall someone got it working with the EZ
just connect to the chip as indicated

wyngnut

Post by wyngnut »

Thanks for the pointer. However, the EZ design takes up more of the KAW case and the XBee xmitter won't fit inside the case. I'd rather get a version of the old one so the modification looks professional. The problem is that my original-looking KAW is actually a EZ inside, so I can't just go to a store and buy another.

So I am basically looking for anyone selling the old version, so I can complete the install of my TAW.

Thanks!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i think some fellow just kinda stuck it in a little plastic box on the outside which is perfectly fine (although not pro looking. well, actually even finished its not that pro looking :lol: )

jerrya

Post by jerrya »

Actually, I think the one you pictured is an old design. Mine is the same, and I bought it in October of 2003.

I was able to get everything to fit inside (didn't drill a hole for the LED though) but it doesn't seem to work correctly. The display no longer shows 0 watts without a load, and whatever I was receiving over the xbee didn't really make sense so I decided to move on.

So, I just bought a new one from newegg, and it's the new design discussed in this thread.
http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic ... 40&t=11009

More work ahead for me still...

[edit]
I just removed the xbee system from this KAW, and it's still messed up. It reads 185V when I plug it in, instead of 118 that my other one does. So I obviously messed up something in this one.

geoff

Post by geoff »

Apparently, I too have an older KAW P4400 with different internals. I spent some time finding a way to make everything fit, and, eventually, I did. The LED comes out of the side rather than the top. In addition, I had to back the XBee board with foam tape to insulate it from the other circuitry in the KAW. It works fine (although sometimes I need to do the plug/unplug/plug trick).

Great project which I hope to use in my physics classes next year! Thanks for the kit!
Attachments
Internals of older? KAW P4400 with XBee installed
Internals of older? KAW P4400 with XBee installed
KAW.jpg (262.85 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yup thats the (much) older style from a few years ago
thanks for putting up a nice photo :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”