XBee Wireless programming tutorial

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Valen

XBee Wireless programming tutorial

Post by Valen »

Hello,

I've read that tutorial on how to wirelessly program microcontroller via xbees (link), and resetting them via linepassing. For that it is adviced to make a solderconnection between the RTS/DIO6 pin with the dio3 pin right next to it. The DIO3 pin of the base xbee (connected to the programmer application like AVRDude) is then 'line-passed' to pin DIO3 on the remote xbee, so it can pull the reset pin of the microcontroller down via a transistor. Now what I do not understand is why bother with this solderjoint? Why is it not possible to set the RTS/DIO pin on the base xbee as input, and linepass that one to the RTS/DIO6 pin on the remote xbee? (and obviously connect the transistor to that pin) Seems like a pointless waste of a digital/analog pin, and spoiling the xbee interface-pcb for other experiments later.

Am I missing something here? Is it a Arduino specific thing perhaps, because I do not have one and know nothing about it. I intend to wirelessly programm an Asuro robot (link, it has an Atmega8L onboard).

adafruit

Re: XBee Wireless programming tutorial

Post by adafruit »

the '125 is in the way. also, the RTS line is used for reprogramming the xbee. you could use any other pin. that one was just the closest

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”