Xbee Adapter Kit and a Roomba

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xxmagnusxx

Xbee Adapter Kit and a Roomba

Post by xxmagnusxx »

Hello...I'm new to this field and apologies for my ignorance.

I’m currently in the research phase of building a roomba that logs data to a remote system via the xbee and I was wondering if your adapter could work. I believe, the roomba's serial interface functions at 5V, while the xbees function at 3.3V. Will the xbee adapter work?

The roomba uses a miniDIN 7-pin adapter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector#7-pin) and I was hoping to attach the miniDIN --> xbee adapter --> xbee module to send and receive commands to another xbee in an embedded system. Is the xbee adapter something I can use?

adafruit

Re: Xbee Adapter Kit and a Roomba

Post by adafruit »

lucky for you the xbee adapter shifts the serial data from 5V down to 3.3V specifically for this kinda thing :)

mikelehen

Post by mikelehen »

I've successfully communicated with a roomba via the xbee module + adafruit xbee adapter. Worked great.

xxmagnusxx

Post by xxmagnusxx »

Thanks!!

revnull

Post by revnull »

Hello,

Firstly, sorry to hijack such an old thread, but it still contains relevant info to my question.

I bought my first Roomba 650 2 weeks ago. It's a great little robot, not sure why I waited so long to get one. Like xxmagnusxx, I'd like to use my Xbee adapter kit with the built Roomba serial port. Everything looks like it will work out, but my only concern is the 3.3v regulator. From what I've read, the voltage output of the Roomba serial DIN is an unregulated +16v.

Is there a suitable replacement TO-92 package regulator I could use on the Xbee adapter to help it handle the higher voltage requirements? I'd like to avoid putting a 5v regulator (with supporting components) in front of the Xbee adapter.

Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”