Significant reliability increase for Wireless Arduino Link?

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikelehen

Significant reliability increase for Wireless Arduino Link?

Post by mikelehen »

Tonight I set up a wireless link between my PC and an Arduino Pro Mini 328 (from Sparkfun). I used two XBee modules and XBee Adapters from the adafruit store and followed the guide at http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/arduino.html.

First off, thanks for writing such a great guide (and creating the xbee adapter)! It was very helpful.

Unfortunately, I ran into pretty major reliability issues. I was able to transfer the Blink sketch (~900 bytes), but had trouble with anything much larger. The biggest sketch I successfully uploaded was 4k and that only worked about 1/5 of the time (with the two xbee modules a couple inches apart).

So I started playing with the XBee settings to see if I could improve matters any. I had little success until I switched the "IC - DIO Change Detect" setting from FF to 08 (the guide says to use FF but that technically 08 would work). Surprisingly, this made a huge difference. In fact, it completely fixed my reliability issues. Now I can consistently send a 30k sketch to the remote arduino (when it's two inches away, anyway :-)).

You might want to consider updating the guide to suggest setting "IC -DIO Change Detect" to 08. It made a huge difference for me.

adafruit

Re: Significant reliability increase for Wireless Arduino Link?

Post by adafruit »

ok thanks for the tip!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”