Kill-A-Watt output

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xavrob

Kill-A-Watt output

Post by xavrob »

Hi,

After bulding my own tweet-a-watt, I am trying to figure out how could I get this system working without all the unused features of the Kill-A-Watt. To do so, I would like to know what signal type do we send via the XBEE, analog or digital? Is is taken right after the sensors of the device? Has the signal been treated/converted before sending it? Taking the useless parts off would virtually enable us to make a tweet-a-watt device that is minimalist, using the tehcnology of the kill-a-watt without the expansive screen, microcontroler button controlling part and calculation tools. Can you help me with this?

Thanks,

Xavier

adafruit

Re: Kill-A-Watt output

Post by adafruit »

if you're trying to DIY your own for fun, its really just cheaper and safer to use the killawatt. the inputs are analog voltages of the mains voltage and raw current. if, from reading the documentation and code of the tweetawatt you're not clear how it works, its probably a bad idea for you to start sticking your hands in 120V power and we really suggest against it, as its very dangerous and you can easily get hurt! :(

xavrob

Post by xavrob »

thanks for answering, don't worry, i'm an electrical engineer so it's not my first project. Also, I want you to know that the KAW I have has another internal configuration (close to the small op-amp one). The chip is now called LM2902DG, you can easily find the data sheet for that one since it is not custom.

Xavier

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

All killawatts have a 2902 quad op amp

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”