Tweet-a-Watt plus Relay

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tsmack

Tweet-a-Watt plus Relay

Post by tsmack »

I would like to build a tweet-a-watt that can turn on and off a relay from the output of a tweet a watt using a spare i/o channel. Basiclly adding a relay control to the tweet. I would like to use VB6 to control and read the tweet-a-watt. I am using the vb6 example listed in the forum. Any help or ideas? Thanks

adafruit

Re: Tweet-a-Watt plus Relay

Post by adafruit »

there is not enough power to run a relay in a tweetawatt

ProfNimrod

Post by ProfNimrod »

Even with a solid state relay such as ESR51? Not cheap but perhaps workable... although probably wouldn't be able to fit it into the KAW.

If you figure it out please post details.

Good luck, Kurt

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

doubtful. the 10000uF cap is barely enough :)

ProfNimrod

Post by ProfNimrod »

Hi forum

Thought I'd post a summary about a result I got today regarding switching mains with an XBee. This wasn't done in the context of a Kill-a-Watt, but thought it might interest some nonetheless.

The setup is simply a battery powered XBee mounted on the Adafruit adapter. DIO1 of the Xbee is configured to be switchable. The relay I'm using is a solid state variety that I got off eBay - 10 of them for $30 - a fantastic price given that Ultimate Electronics sells the m for $30 apiece. The SS Relay is made by Mager, requires 3V to switch, and can switch a load of up to 25A. The product number is MGR-1 D4825. I simply connected the switching connections on the SSR to the GND and DIO1 on the XBee and then was able to switch my office fan off an on by sending the appropriate remote AT commands... Works great!

Bye for now, Kurt

pankajshelare

Post by pankajshelare »

ProfNimrod wrote:Hi forum

Thought I'd post a summary about a result I got today regarding switching mains with an XBee. This wasn't done in the context of a Kill-a-Watt, but thought it might interest some nonetheless.

The setup is simply a battery powered XBee mounted on the Adafruit adapter. DIO1 of the Xbee is configured to be switchable. The relay I'm using is a solid state variety that I got off eBay - 10 of them for $30 - a fantastic price given that Ultimate Electronics sells the m for $30 apiece. The SS Relay is made by Mager, requires 3V to switch, and can switch a load of up to 25A. The product number is MGR-1 D4825. I simply connected the switching connections on the SSR to the GND and DIO1 on the XBee and then was able to switch my office fan off an on by sending the appropriate remote AT commands... Works great!

Bye for now, Kurt
Hi Kurt,

I need more information about your work done on using relays with xbee module. I'll greatly appreciate if you can submit the screen shots/document/links etc.

Thanks,
Pankaj

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”