Dead XBee?

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kellermd

Dead XBee?

Post by kellermd »

I received my shipment of a FTDI USB cable, two Adafruit XBee adapter kits, and two XBees. I assembled both kits find that one XBee does not light the blinking green LED on either adapter while the oher XBee lights the LED on both adapters. I was careful to make sure I discharged static when handling the XBees, so I don't think that I harmed the one, but it's always possible. I note that the 3.3V regulator gets hot on the "dead" Xbee, while it does not get hot on the "good" XBee.

Is there any way to determine what's wrong with the XBee, to determine that it's not dead?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Dead XBee?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I note that the 3.3V regulator gets hot on the "dead" Xbee, while it does not get hot on the "good" XBee.
Does this symptom also follow the 'dead' Xbee to both adapters?

kellermd

Post by kellermd »

adafruit_support wrote:
I note that the 3.3V regulator gets hot on the "dead" Xbee, while it does not get hot on the "good" XBee.
Does this symptom also follow the 'dead' Xbee to both adapters?
Yes, I just tried the "good" and "bad" Xbees on each of the adapters, and the "bad" XBee heats up either adapter very hot within about 5 seconds. The good Xbee doesn't make the regulator hot at all.

adafruit_support_bill

That is very unusual. Does the unit show any outward signs of damage from shipping, etc?

kellermd

Post by kellermd »

No, it looks good from the outside; no damage at all.

adafruit_support_bill

Contact [email protected] about a replacement and link to this thread in your message.

faludi

Post by faludi »

Hot usually means that either it got excessive voltage (7 volts or greater will damage the unit), or possibly that it was otherwise defective, though each is tested at the factory. Any defective radio can be returned for testing and replacement (assuming it wasn't given excessive voltage) through Digi's RMA process. http://digi.com/support is the place to start.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”