XBee Won't do the firmware update but reads fine.

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
koep

XBee Won't do the firmware update but reads fine.

Post by koep »

I have a XBee XBP24 802.15.4 PRO that will talk with X-CTU fine and you can change and write individual parameters but when trying to update the firmware in the following manner it will just give me the "Getting modem type....OK
Programming modem...Lost communication with modem
Write Parameters...Failed." Here is how I tried:

First
First I am using a adafruit XBee adapter kit and adafruit FTDI Friend.
I removed the XBee module from the adapter, plugged the FTDI Friend while attached to adapter kit into the usb port and went to the modem configuration tab and configured as follows "Always update firmware" then set the Modem type just as it shows when I read (XBP24) Function set is set to xbee pro 802.15.4 and then the version I want of which there is one newer than what I have. Currently I have 10EC.
Then hit the Write button, I got the action required box then I plugged in the xbee module to the adapter kit, next I shorted RST to GND on the adapter board, the action required box goes away and then I still get the "Getting modem type....OK
Programming modem...Lost communication with modem
Write Parameters...Failed"

Can anyone help please!!

adafruit

Re: XBee Won't do the firmware update but reads fine.

Post by adafruit »

could be the Pro is not working properly - we don't sell Pros - please contact the place you purchased it for a replacement

faludi

Post by faludi »

To accomplish a firmware upgrade, both DTR and RTS pins must be connected. The Adafruit board supports those connections so I'd check the solders to make sure those pins are connected properly (http://www.ladyada.net/images/xbee/xbee11sch.png). It doesn't sound like a problem with the module. Anything is possible but I'd start by looking at your board, especially if other XBees also won't firmware upgrade.

ackbar345

Post by ackbar345 »

faludi wrote:To accomplish a firmware upgrade, both DTR and RTS pins must be connected. The Adafruit board supports those connections so I'd check the solders to make sure those pins are connected properly (http://www.ladyada.net/images/xbee/xbee11sch.png). It doesn't sound like a problem with the module. Anything is possible but I'd start by looking at your board, especially if other XBees also won't firmware upgrade.

Faludi is right, check the adaptor. Have you made any hardware changes? I had a jumper wired on mine from D3 to RST to allow it to become a wireless serial programmer and it was virtually impossible to get firmware updates onto it through that adaptor. I had to use another adaptor I had to update.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”