Advice needed selecting propper xbee radio

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
midzata

Advice needed selecting propper xbee radio

Post by midzata »

hi my name is mile,

i'm doing a research for my masters and seeing i have no experience with radios, i need an advice on what kind of radio modules to use for my project.

NOTE:
-i didn't just opened this thread blindly, as first I took a look around the web manufacturers web site, the forum and plenty other sites as well. however when a know little about a certain topic, i always ask help from people who are more competent than me and whose knowledge in this 'unknown area' is greater than mine.

GOAL:
-to find a wireless radio with 400m range for the sensor nodes that i'm going to use for the fire detection system.

USE CASE:
-the sensor nodes will be placed inside the forest and they will have smoke sensors attached to them in order to detect potential fire.
-once smoke is detected, the sensor node will generate a warning and he will pass it to his neighbor, who will pass it on to the next sensor node, and it will go all the way to the base station. the signal from the base station will go throgh wireless backhaul, but that's another topic that currently doesn't need to be discussed

REQUIREMENTS:
-the maximum distance between two sensor nodes will be 400m at most
-the sensor nodes will be put in a pinetree forest where the trees grow upto 40m
-the sensor nodes should be able to communicate with all of their neighbor-sensor nodes that are within the 400m radio range
-the sensor node is actually a microcontroler development board with ARM7 LPC2368 processor and the radio should be able to communicate with it. here's the board's specifications >> http://www.micro4you.com/files/lpc2368/ARM7_LPC2368.pdf

SOLUTION:
-tell me i'm doing overkill with the 400m reqirement. can i use certain antenna to get to the 400m mark? what if there's a sensor node that will be even further away, let's say 1.5km
-i'm inclining towards this choice, but i have no idea how will the forest trees affect the radio transmission >> http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-w ... -900#specs

FINAL NOTE:
-if you have better ideas please share.
-if you know other place where i can ask for help, let me know in your replies
-if you have other more appropriate manufactures in mind, please share. (i'm not sure if i'm allowed to ask this, but i hope it won't get someone mad) what are some other companies that are xbee's competitors on the market

P.S. i do most of my shopping on ebay, but i think other specialized web sites would have better prices than ebay in this case. Please recommend me some websites that sell radio equipment and have low prices as well.

thanks. mile

adafruit

Re: Advice needed selecting propper xbee radio

Post by adafruit »

the best place to get help with this type of question is the digi xbee forums - we dont sell long range radios

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”