XBee Adapter Kit Turns off

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
michaelm5

XBee Adapter Kit Turns off

Post by michaelm5 »

I have three XBee Adapter kits and three XBee Pro S2B's. Using your excellent instructions I soldered the three adapter kits then set up two of the XBee's one coordinator one router. The coordinator is plugged into the computer through a USB adapter and the router is plugged into an UNO using the Adafruit adapter kit. I am able to get the Xbee's talking back and forth just fine. I am using the same XBee module on all three adapters for the router. One adapter does not turn on but the Arduino terminal sometimes shows hex data that is not transmitted to the coordinated. The second adapter works for about ten minutes sending data back and forth then turns off. The third seems to work fine. I have checked the solder points to make sure no shorts. By using the same XBee it should not be an XBee setting. What am I doing wrong.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: XBee Adapter Kit Turns off

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I would suspect an intermittent solder joint. If you post photos of the fronts and backs of the adapters, we'll take a look.

michaelm5

Post by michaelm5 »

Hopefully you can see the photos. This is the one that works for a few minutes then quits. I have checked the solder points. The adapter just stops without being moved. Thank you for your help these are some of my first solder projects
Attachments
Back
Back
Back.JPG (120.16 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Front
Front
front.JPG (127.91 KiB) Viewed 1304 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The solder-side photo is a bit fuzzy, but from what I can see it doesn't look bad. Look closely at the joints and re-touch any that are not smooth and shiny. This guide will show you what to look for: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Another thing to check - Is the 3.3v regulator getting hot? When the adapter turns off, what is the voltage on the 3v and 5v pins?

michaelm5

Post by michaelm5 »

None of the components are getting hot but that is the direction I am thinking because if you leave them sit they will work for a short time the longer they sit the longer they last. I do not have a multi meter to read voltage i will need to pick one up and get back to you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”