Can't get XBee S1 with Adafruit adapter going with Arduino Uno R3

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kcranley

Can't get XBee S1 with Adafruit adapter going with Arduino Uno R3

Post by kcranley »

Hi
I have connected RX on XBee adapter to RX on the Arduino, and TX on XBee adapter to TX on the Arduino (similarly 5V and GND). The Arduino is connected to COM9 on my PC, and the green LED flashes. When I run X-CTU, select COM9 and try a Test/Query, I get an "Unable to communicate with modem" message.

I have another, matching XBee with adapter connected to a Boarduino with FTDI lead to another PC, which seems to work OK. I have swapped around the XBees and adapters, and the same thing happens ie the Arduino Uno end still doesn't work. When I try the Test/Query on the Arduino, the red light on the Boarduino's XBee adapter comes on, so there seems to be some communication between them.

Typing into the Arduino's X-CTU Terminal echoes on the Boarduino's terminal, but not the other way round.

I would be very grateful for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Can't get XBee S1 with Adafruit adapter going with Arduino Uno R3

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Are you using a 'de-chipped' UNO as in the tutorial? http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/wiring.html
You can also just load an empty sketch so that the UNO isn't trying to use the Rx/Tx lines too.

Code: Select all

// empty sketch
    void setup()
    {
    }
    void loop()
    {
    }

kcranley

Re: Can't get XBee S1 with Adafruit adapter going with Arduino Uno R3

Post by kcranley »

Thank you so much - the Bare Bones sketch did the trick - although I thought I had tried that before.

By the way, on one of the XBee adapters, the 1700 voltage regulator overheated (I probably made a wrong connection), so I replaced it with the only one I had - a 1702 ... and it works fine. Thanks again for the speedy transatlantic service!

KC

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”