Adafruit #570 in Inc 5000 & #11 in manufacturing - fastest-growing private companies in America - INC 5000 - Read more!

Opening port seems to Kill Xbee

by countzer0 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 am

I have a FTDI cable and a Xbee adapter. I had this working(with a arduino/xbee on the other end) a couple of months ago and formatted my windows 7 system in the meantime so I am think the problem is related to the port/driver.

When the device is plugged in, the green led blinks at a regular rate(I think this is correct). When I open the comm port with either hyperterm or coolterm the LED goes off and sending +++ does not return an OK. At one point in my experimentation over the years, I thought there was something that needed to be done(OS-wise) to the comm port but I can't seem to find it.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
countzer0

Re: Opening port seems to Kill Xbee

by countzer0 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 am

I have tried it on a second Win7 PC and it is working correctly. The blinking led does not blink when connected and the red blinks when receiving data.
countzer0

Re: Opening port seems to Kill Xbee

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 am

Make sure your com port is configured for the correct baud rate & no flow control: http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/configure.html

It might be easiest to compare the configuration with the machine that works and see what is different.
adafruit_support_bill