Reading RSSI pin off XBee to determine signal strength help!

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Khamey

Reading RSSI pin off XBee to determine signal strength help!

Post by Khamey »

I have an XBee Pro S2B connected to the adafruit breakout board and I have a wire directly soldered to pin 6 (RSS) connected to a digital pin of my Arduino UNO. I am trying to use the pulseIn command as described here: http://log.liminastudio.com/itp/physica ... e-rssi-pin
The signal coming from the RSS pin is supposedly a pulse and should be able to indicate signal strength. I can digital read the pin and it goes from high to low when observing the serial monitor, but as a pulse in function it doesn't provide any useful information.

this is my code:

RSSIDuration = pulseIn (RSSIPin, LOW, 200);
Serial.print(RSSIDuration);
Serial.println();

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Reading RSSI pin off XBee to determine signal strength help!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi. I have moved this post to the appropriate forum and locked the 2 duplicate posts. Please do not double (or triple) post.

thefatmoop

Re: Reading RSSI pin off XBee to determine signal strength help!

Post by thefatmoop »

page 32 in the xbee data sheet talks about additional settings for rssi pwm. Page 51 goes into more detail about what the duty means. So your pulsein() reading should be linear to the DB above sensitivity. I'd suggest you calculate duty then calculate db with a linear function fit with the data they gave.
http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wire ... asheet.pdf

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”