Xbee in weird self test mode?

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kscharf

Xbee in weird self test mode?

Post by kscharf »

I'm using 900mhz xbee-pro modules. Xbee recently came out with an upgraded version with a bit higher power and more sensitivity. The older versions worked fine in my application. I'm using an Arduino clone with the xbee hooked up with the software serial driver to two pins on the processor. The newer Xbees are not 5 volt tolerant, but we are using the processor at 3.3v so that isn't an issue. What is happening is that right after reset the xbee seems to be sending a string of 8 digit hex numbers one after an other, the numbers in an increasing sequence (IE counting up). When the same xbee is sitting in a USB serial xbee adapter it works fine. When in my prototype it comes up in this test mode. Sending the xbee a "+++" string puts it in command mode and it DOES respond to AT commands. However once the command mode times out it's back in the 'test mode' and won't respond to anything other than '+++'.
What is going on???

thefatmoop

Re: Xbee in weird self test mode?

Post by thefatmoop »

That's odd. Is someone else on your channel? I'd plug it into X-ctu and reinstall firmware, show defaults and write them, go to a different channel and PAN ID, then emsure API mode isn't being used in modem and pc tab in x-ctu. Try downgrading the firmware too if the above doesn't help.

thefatmoop

Post by thefatmoop »

You probably got it fixed by now, but recently a group i'm working with had the same issue when they upgraded from a xbee2.4ghz to a 900mhz extended range model. They said they had to unsolder the RSSI LED from the breakout otherwise it would do the weird counter thing. Anyway they're using the sparkfun regulated breakout for the xbee

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

thefatmoop wrote:You probably got it fixed by now, but recently a group i'm working with had the same issue when they upgraded from a xbee2.4ghz to a 900mhz extended range model. They said they had to unsolder the RSSI LED from the breakout otherwise it would do the weird counter thing. Anyway they're using the sparkfun regulated breakout for the xbee
BINGO!
We put in a support email to Digi and they confirmed that holding the DI or RSSI (pin 6) low during reset or powerup would put the XBEE into a 'test' mode. The LED will, indeed do this. I think it would still be possible to use the pin to drive an RSSI indicator, but you will now need a transistor to to do, driving the led directly is no longer possible. Once We got Digi's email a quick 'google' found the apnote that describes this new 'feature'. Digi mentioned that specific shields and breakout boards made by Adafruit and Sparkfun might cause this issue.
There is also the issue of the new models not being 5V tolerant, but we already took care of that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”