Can't connect to XBee 1 with serial

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bratan

Can't connect to XBee 1 with serial

Post by bratan »

Hi,

I'm trying to connect Xbee to my computer (Windows 8) via FTDI adapter and I'm not getting any response from it.
I got Xbee adapter kit from Adafruit. XBee 1 modules came from DigiKey. I'm using generic FTDI adapter (set to 5V) which registers as COM3 and I've been using it for a while to program my Arduino without any issues.
Putty is set to COM3, 9600 baud, Data bits 8, Stop bits 1, paritiy none, flow control none. When I try +++ nothing happens.
Green LED on Xbee adapter is blinking and whole thing get's warm. Any suggestions? Could it be set to different baud rate? I have second adapter and Xbee, but I'm afraid to connect it now :) Here's picture of the hookup.
20130316_101306.jpg
20130316_101306.jpg (65.79 KiB) Viewed 726 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Can't connect to XBee 1 with serial

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I don't think you can simply plug in the FTDI adapter like that. The CTS and RTS pins don't match.

You want to connect CTS to RTS. You also want to connect RTS to CTS, but your adapter doesn't seem to have RTS. You might be able to connect DTR to CTS, but I'm not sure about that.

Try connecting with jumpers. For a first attempt try it with just 5V, GND, Rx and Tx.

bratan

Post by bratan »

Tried it on breadboard, didn't work. Then I realized I was typing +++ too slowly :)
Duh!!! It seems to be working now, even when connected directly to FTDI adapter! :)

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Hey, if it works, it works! :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”