xbee voltage limiter

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nemo000111

xbee voltage limiter

Post by nemo000111 »

Hi All,

I'm working on a project using an xbee. It's a basic circuit running at 3.3v with a micro, a few components, an ISP header, and the xbee. I'm stumbling on a cheap (money and continuous current draw) way to protect the xbee from a possible 5v vcc from the ISP header. The xbee is the only component that can't take that voltage. I was thinking a relay with a coil voltage of >4v, but those are somewhat pricey. This solution either needs to be self resetting or physically block the isp header while the xbee isn't protected (i.e. a switch over/through the header pins). The total dimensions of this is about the size of 4 AA batteries arranged in a square. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Marc

Franklin97355

Re: xbee voltage limiter

Post by Franklin97355 »

This http://www.adafruit.com/products/757 might be what you are looking for.

nemo000111

Re: xbee voltage limiter

Post by nemo000111 »

I had thought about something like that, however I didn't think it would quite fit. The circuit is designed as a 3.3v circuit and will only receive 5v if the isp connector is supplying 5v; meaning it should rarely (of ever) occur. It can be treated as an error condition. I'm trying to figure out a way to protect the xbee from that error condition. The closest I've come so far is a relay with a coil voltage of 4v. It has little electrical drawbacks (no constant current needed and protects for the duration of the over voltage unlike esd protection devices) however it's pricey. It is acceptable for the xbee to be powered off during programming of the micro.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”