Xbee Adapter Board

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dmkumar

Xbee Adapter Board

Post by dmkumar »

Hello, I have recently purchased an adafruit Xbee adapter board (as displayed below) and am using it to interface with my Xbee PRO S3B.

I am using an adafruit FTDI Friend to connect them both to my computer (as displayed below). The computer recognizes it as a com port (in my case COM13), but when I run the X-CTU (by digi), the tool is not able to recognize it.

Some additional details:
I also have a DIYdrones XStream adapter for the Xbee.
In the end I would like to have to ability to connect my Xbee to my ArduPilot 2.5

image links if this forum starts acting up:
http://postimg.org/image/on6fbe8uf/
http://postimg.org/image/cguo671yv/

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Xbee Adapter Board

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not sure about XCTU, but some programs do not recognize higher-numbered COM ports. Try going into Device Manager and re-assigning the FTDI Friend connection to a lower COM port number.

dmkumar

Post by dmkumar »

I guess I should have been a bit more specific in my post. The comport will show up on the tool, no matter how high the number is(and I did try a lower COM port number, but no luck).
But when I have the tool interfacing with my setup, the greet LED on the adafruit adapter will start flickering (the red light still hasn't turned on), and the tool will say that It cannot open the COM port.
I know the Xbee is fine, because I have configured in using an Xbee U-Dev Board (by digi), and have performed range tests).

Would you know of a better tool to use?
Also I would like to state, that I have this same exact problem with my XStream board adapter (by DIYdrones)

adafruit_support_bill

But when I have the tool interfacing with my setup, the greet LED on the adafruit adapter will start flickering (the red light still hasn't turned on), and the tool will say that It cannot open the COM port.
What is the exact error message? Make sure that no other program has the COM port open.

dmkumar

Post by dmkumar »

The program will freeze when the "Read" button is hit on the X-CTU. The "Read" button is used to determine what firmware is already loaded on the Xbee. Here is a screen shot of the error:

This screen shot was taken before I changed the COM port, but the same error occurs (I currently have it on COM 2)

adafruit_support_bill

OK. So modem "Not responding" is not the same as not being to open the COM port. You should post on the Digi forums to see why your Xbee is not responding. forums.digi.com/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”