XBEE and Mesh Networking

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
easypea

XBEE and Mesh Networking

Post by easypea »

I'm looking at doing a project where I will have a number of mobile embedded computers (probably Raspberry Pi's) spread across an area of about 0.5 miles. There is completely clear line of sight in all directions. I would like for them to use the XBEE wireless module to act as a mesh network with communications eventually making their way back to a "home" Computer that will log their data and display their location on a web page. What is the range of this XBEE module and is there anything I should look out for when trying to put this together? Is there a better module for this application?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
James

Franklin97355

Re: XBEE and Mesh Networking

Post by Franklin97355 »

The range depends on whether you get the standard or pro module and what type of antenna you choose. Check the Digi site for specs.http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-w ... dule#specs

easypea

Post by easypea »

Thanks very much for the reply. If I want to hook this up to a Raspberry Pi, which adapter do I need to use?

thanks

james

waltr

Post by waltr »

The XBees and the R-Pi are both 3.3V logic so no adapter is needed for the electrical interface.
You may want to use an XBee break out board that has sockets for the XBee and either use wires or headers to the Pi.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”