New Ordered Xbee not working

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jpmk12

New Ordered Xbee not working

Post by jpmk12 »

Hello,

I received my new Xbees on Friday and started playing with them today. I used CoolTerm to get them all set up. I have 2 Xbees and 2 adafruit breakouts. I programmed them with the same ID and was trying to set them up with an arduino to transfer data from a control knob.

I noticed that the green light on one of my Xbees had quit flashing. I tried all the tutorials on adafruit to program it but I keep getting an error saying it can not establish a connection with the com port. I know it isn't the breakout because i tested multiple Xbees and multiple breakouts. It seems like the Xbee just wore out after only being plug in for 30 minutes or so. Any ideas or do I just have a bad Xbee?

Thanks,

Justin

jpmk12

Re: New Ordered Xbee not working

Post by jpmk12 »

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this chip?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you have windows try the X-CTU utility from Digi and see if that can communicate.
Last edited by Franklin97355 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I agree with the XCTU recommendation. If you don't get anywhere with that, the folks at the Digi forums have various ways to get them to talk.
Here is the support forum: http://www.digi.com/support/forum/
And here's a link to the Wiki: http://www.digi.com/wiki/developer/inde ... ee_reflash

jpmk12

Post by jpmk12 »

I have tried the XTCU utility. It gives me a communication error every time I try to read or write to the chip. I have been to the digi forum as well and tried their troubleshooting steps for reprogramming. I even wired up a reset button to try that trick, but I still get a communication error.

The Xbee worked fine for about 30 minutes. Then I just quit being able to communicate with it.

- Justin

adafruit_support_bill

OK then. Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

brower

Post by brower »

Hi I'm having the same problem exactly. Using 2 XBee S1's and adapter kits with USB-TTL cable. Both XBees were fine through configuration with X-CTU, and then one lost its light. Com ports won't see it on PC or Mac. However, the other XBee works fine on both adapter boards and I've left it on and it seems fine. My soldering on the boards is fine and there's correct voltage on the pins. I think the problem is with the XBee itself. Any idea how I can get this replaced? I tried to send an email to adafruit support but I got a roboanswer directing me here. I see others have had this issue before but I think I need a replacement part.
***I also just tried the bootloader trick I read about in another post, but there is no comm***

adafruit_support_bill

Post photos of the front & back of the adapter boards so we can check the assembly.

brower

Post by brower »

for some reason my posts and images are not getting through. I have sent an email with the images.

matt_adafruit

Post by matt_adafruit »

Posting these photos on behalf of Steven -- he sent these photos to support because he was having difficulty posting them here.

Steven, in the future you need to resize your photos to around 800x600 px!
Attachments
Bottom Side
Bottom Side
IMG_5718.jpg (527.21 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Top Side
Top Side
IMG_5717.jpg (729.96 KiB) Viewed 1142 times

adafruit_support_bill

OK. The adapter assembly looks fine. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can arrange a replacement XBee.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”