Please can someone help a Noob? XBEE Wireless Midi to custom guitar?

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
orangekeeper

Please can someone help a Noob? XBEE Wireless Midi to custom guitar?

Post by orangekeeper »

Hi Folks,

Please can someone offer some advice on this one?

I'm not very experienced with electronics, but can follow some instructions and purchased a couple of XBEE's in order to build a wireless midi sender/receiver for my guitar. My guitar incorporates Line 6 Variax electronics, which hosts a number of different sounds/patches that can be changed using Sysex/Midi commands from a Floor pedal (a POD HD 500) over a bespoke cable.

I'd like to go fully wireless.. The guitar can run on batteries and I have a wireless audio transciever, but I need a solution that will remove the midi cable from the mix. Currently, if I want the guitar wireless, I can't change my patches on the fly since that relies on the cable, hence I thought the wireless XBEE's would be a good idea... But something isn't working right...

I've setup the XBEEs for wireless MIDI as per the tutorial on this site, I've successfully changed the baud rate on both modules using X-CTU and I can get them to talk to each other (Sending data either from my laptop or from the floor pedal results in the receiver's red led lighting up), but my guitar won't change patches when connected via the XBee's.

At this point, I really don't know enough about it to troubleshoot things any further. I've tried checking schematics and diagrams, but can't find a solution that works, so I'm kinda just tinkering around at random at the moment.

I'd really appreciate if someone could check and validate how I'm connecting it all up... If anyone is willing to check this out for me, I'll post details of the Variax, POD, the custom cable, my setup and how I have things wired etc.

Thanks for your time folks,

Mike

thefatmoop

Re: Please can someone help a Noob? XBEE Wireless Midi to cu

Post by thefatmoop »

I don't know much about midi, but i'd say make sure your signal is getting transmitted correctly

orangekeeper

Post by orangekeeper »

Thanks for the reply, I'm still struggling with this... Is there anything I can read up on that would confirm how I would go about validating the signal?

The way I see it, I'd need to check a few different places in the path to troubleshoot. The signal being transmitted on the wire to the XBEE transmitter, the signal being sent by this XBEE, the one received by the other XBEE and finally the signal being fed back into the wire....

I can hook up the XBEEs to my laptop and certainly look at the information being sent and received, but how do I validate that against what is sent/received on the physical wires?

Thanks again,

Mike

thefatmoop

Post by thefatmoop »

I'd say use a program like coolterm or even x-ctu to record what gets sent and compare it to wires vs xbee.

also build your project off of something here
https://www.google.com/search?q=send+mi ... =firefox-a

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”