xbee kit: can't connect

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
siva2402

xbee kit: can't connect

Post by siva2402 »

Hi,

I've ordered two pairs of the xbee kit + xbee module and I assembled the first one, which I connect to my PC using an FTDI cable (also ordered from adafruit).

When I connect the kit, the green light blinks, so it is getting power correctly.
I'm on Linux so tried to connect using minicom, but no reply after sending +++
So to avoid software problems, I installed putty and X-ctu on a Windows 7 virtual machine. After installing the FTDI drivers, the usb serial device is detected on COM4, but when I try to use putty or x-ctu to connect, nothing happens. X-ctu raises the error "Cannot open com-port".

I've put some pictures of the assembled kit here: https://plus.google.com/photos/10414286 ... qysxNHewwE

It's the second time that I've soldered anything, so that might be a problem, but how do I "debug" soldering?

thanks for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: xbee kit: can't connect

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Your assembly looks fine. The "Cannot open com-port" may have nothing to do with the XBee. You should be able to open a COM port to the FTDI cable - even when nothing is attached to it.

On Windows 7, I believe you need to run XCTU as an admin to open the COM port. (just being logged in as a admin is not enough, you need to right-click and "run as admin").

siva2402

Post by siva2402 »

Tried that but now I have a different error, still can't communicate:
snapshot1.png
snapshot1.png (12.98 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

adafruit_support_bill

Have you tried the XBee reset switch as suggested in the error dialog?

siva2402

Post by siva2402 »

Yes, no reaction.
I will try to assemble the second kit this evening to see if I have more luck with that one.

I had hoped to diagnose the problem before so that I don't make the same mistake (if any) again.

adafruit_support_bill

You assembly looks fine. See how the second one works. Also try swapping xbees between adapters to see if the problem moves with the XBee or the Adapter.

You might also try posting on the Digi forums. They know these modules inside and out and may have some other diagnostics to try.

siva2402

Post by siva2402 »

ouch, I was reviewing the instructions to connect and noticed I plugged it in to the FTDI cable wrong! The connector was not connected to the GND pin, and it was connected to the 3V pin
Now, the green light doesn't blink any more. Did I break it?

adafruit_support_bill

Ouch! Looked like you had it right in the photo, but I see now it was shifted over by 1 pin.
Looking at the schematic, it should not necessarily have been catastrophic. But with no ground reference, anything is possible.

I'd go ahead and build up the second adapter and see if the module is responsive on that one.

siva2402

Post by siva2402 »

Ha! one last update for now: I was looking at the board and the +5V pin was badly soldered and didn't make good contact. Applied a workaround (ie holding a staple against the connection to make the bridge :D ) , the green light came on, relaunched X-ctu and now i get a reply.

So this evening=>fix the joint and it should be OK

thanks for the replies, and until a next time, surely.

Marc

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”