GPS Project Transmit NMEA data to pc

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
spfyp2013

GPS Project Transmit NMEA data to pc

Post by spfyp2013 »

Hi, we have suceesfully configure the xbee we have just brought and tested it with the sample aurdrino sketches(communication) physical pixal and everythings is working all right. Now the problem is how do we go about transmitting the NMEA data received from the adafruit GPS to a computer through Xbee? Is there a program which must be written to transmit the data receive from the Gps to the xbee? Please enlighten us :cry:

Franklin97355

Re: GPS Project Transmit NMEA data to pc

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you hook up and configure the xbee it will send serial data to another xbee. The xbee on the PC can be connected using a USB breakout board and then you run a program that reads the serial port created by the USB device and do whatever you need to do with that. Take a look at some of the xbee examples in the learning section of Adafruit.

spfyp2013

Post by spfyp2013 »

I have done a little research on a program that reads the serial port created by the usb device but to no avail. What u mean is when i connect my gps to the xbee shield, it should automatically start sending nmea data over to my other xbee connected to a computer?

spfyp2013

Post by spfyp2013 »

What format is the xbee data send to the computer in?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

From the USB xbee adapter it is straight serial data, plain text. NMEA data http://aprs.gids.nl/nmea/

spfyp2013

Post by spfyp2013 »

Haha i got it sending already but the next step is how do we go about saving the data received onto the computer for example in a notepad?
Attachments
data received.PNG
data received.PNG (49.25 KiB) Viewed 1259 times

spfyp2013

Post by spfyp2013 »

After doing more research am i right to say that in order for me to store the data in the xctu Terminal tab, i must write a program to read the serial port(the port which my xbee usb explorer is connect) of my computer?

waltr

Post by waltr »

You could use any of the many terminal programs available for Windows. Hyperterm, RealTerm & TeraTerm are a few.
I like TeraTerm which is a free download from:
http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/index.html.en

If you need to GPS data in another format and/or do calculations on the data (like extracting a heading or speed) then you need to write a program to run on your PC. I recommend using Python 2.7 since this works on many platforms, Windows & Linux including the R-Pi, so there are many examples.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”