XB24 bricked by 10ED Firmware?

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
keithwins

XB24 bricked by 10ED Firmware?

Post by keithwins »

I am new to XBEE, or more precisely I just returned to it, having slightly familiarized myself a few years back. I was using X-CTU on Win7, and I could communicate (via LadyAda V1.1 shield & ftdi cable) with my XB24. I read and reset the parameters (changed the speed to 19200, and checked that it took).

Then I tried to update the firmware. The latest version it downloaded was 10ED. After I did so, the green light on the shield went out, and it's been completely unresponsive: the test/query won't work at any baud rate, nothing comes back in Terminal... If I put a different XBEE in the shield, the light goes on, and if I put the same XBEE in a different shield (I have two) it stays off. So it seems like I bricked the XBEE. Is there any way to recover/reset it? Is the 10ED version incompatible with an older (4 years maybe?) XB24? If so, what version should I stay with?

And apologies in advance: I don't really work with/think about this stuff much, so keep it very simple... Thanks!

keithwins

Re: XB24 bricked by 10ED Firmware?

Post by keithwins »

BTW, the firmware on the XBEE was 10E8, I believe.

keithwins

Post by keithwins »

Sooo... I guess my first two XBEEs are Series 1, though they don't say one way or another (I seem to remember that). I also have a couple Series 2. I inserted a Series 2, successfully read params, changed the baud, and tried to write, and now I can't talk with IT! If I try test/query, it comes up with a "you have to reset" window, and if I short reset to ground on the shield, that window goes away, but I still can't read from it in modem config, see it in terminal, or successfully test/query it at any baud rate. I didn't change ANYTHING else... very disconcerting.

keithwins

Post by keithwins »

I just talked with Digi tech support, and they said that the adapter probably doesn't bring all the relevant leads out, particularly RTS and DTR, so bricking is nearly inevitable, so I should do the programming by either their development kit, or via an arduino directly. I'm a little confused why they XBee adapter kit page would recommend using X-CTU and reprogramming the units if that's the case. I'm hoping someone is going to weigh in here soon...

waltr

Post by waltr »

This has always been a problem with XBee adapters that are not from Digi. See this thread for more about his issue and some solutions.
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=11427

thefatmoop

Post by thefatmoop »

I use the sparkfun xbee ftdi adapter, but the adafruit version should be the same thing with the ftdi chip in the cable. So which series did you brick? I have a ton of S1 sitting around, i'll update the firmware to a few of the most recent versions and see if i can get it to brick.

Also are you sure you've got x-ctu set to the correct baud? Try using the baud you normally use, and maybe the new firmware took it to the factory default 9600 baud.

I had about 90 S1 xbees donated and 29 of 30 of the high power xbees were bricked - asked the donor and he said something went wrong while programming them (it was their fault). Using x-ctu i've never killed one.

thefatmoop

Post by thefatmoop »

I know i've programmed the formware on these in the past without a problem. You've cursed the world of xbees my friend.

Here's the fix that worked for me

1. Take the xbee modem out of the interface board.
2. Connect the interface board to the computer.
3. Open X-CTU make sure Baud Rate is set to 9600
4. Go to "Modem Configuration"
5. Put a check in the "Always update firmware" box
6. Select proper modem from drop down menu,
7. Select proper function set and firmware version
from drop down menus.
8. Click on the "Write" button. After a few seconds of
trying to read the modem, you will get an Info box
that says Action Needed. At this point, CAREFULLY
insert the module into the interface board.
9. You may get the info box again a short while after,
just use the reset button on the interface board.

from
http://www.instructables.com/id/Changin ... /?ALLSTEPS

and to answer 'will an ancient xbee work with the latest firmware?' Looks like xctu will detect which firmware versions are avaiable for your xbee. Some of my xb24 have 2 firmware options, others have a huge list with 10ED as the newest.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”