Hi power xbee on v1.1 adapter kit

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
baggy2

Hi power xbee on v1.1 adapter kit

Post by baggy2 »

Hi ,
Another UK Xbee newbie here. I am using V1.1 adapter kits with the 869.5Mhz Pro xbee modules. These can take 500mA or more when set to highest power. All works well at low power setting but unsurprisingly doesn't work on high power. Is there a well known hack out there to handle this? For example can I replace the standard voltage regulator with something more powerful ? ( it doesn't have to remain within the adapter card foot print). Or could I use an external 3.3V regulator and connect direct into the xbee module bypassing the standard on board regulator? I there a schematic of the adapter card available so maybe I could work it out myself?
I am only using Tx and Rx plus power connections on the xbee so I don't have to worry about handshake lines. I/O connections etc. Any assistance much appreciated.
Baggy2

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Hi power xbee on v1.1 adapter kit

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Don't know of anyone who has done this. But you could replace the existing regulator, or bypass it by feeding 3.3v to the adaptor via the VCC pin on the header.

Schematics are available here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/download.html

For high current applications like this, linear regulators can be pretty inefficient. You may want to consider a buck converter instead: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1066

baggy2

Re: Hi power xbee on v1.1 adapter kit

Post by baggy2 »

Thanks for the quick reply - that does give me something to work with. If any other readers are around with " been there - done that" experience it would be great to hear from you too.
Cheers
Baggy 2

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”