Is XBee good for what I'm trying to accomplish?

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sinefinehabitarevolo

Is XBee good for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Post by sinefinehabitarevolo »

If I needed to pair two arduinos as a master/slave pair across a distance of about 60-70 feet, past a music sound stage (with speakers, mic, electric guitars), is XBee good for doing this, or do you know any alternatives?

waltr

Re: Is XBee good for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Post by waltr »

If you only need low bandwidth data/commands then the Series 1 XBee's should work fine.
These interface to the processor (arduino) with 3.3V TTL level async serial.

greyf350

Post by greyf350 »

At 70ft clear line of distance between my XBee1's with a house wall in between, my signal strength is pretty weak where I have to use a high gain patch antenna on the receiving side. You may need to consider using the higher power transmitter versions

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

XBees should work for that application.
At 70ft clear line of distance between my XBee1's with a house wall in between, my signal strength is pretty weak where I have to use a high gain patch antenna on the receiving side. You may need to consider using the higher power transmitter versions
With a clear line of sight (i.e. no walls or other obstructions) 70' should is generally not a problem for the basic Series 1 modules. However, a little extra transmit power doesn't hurt.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”