Wireless USB with XBee Pro

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ryfitzger227

Wireless USB with XBee Pro

Post by ryfitzger227 »

Hello everyone.

I'm very new to XBee and have finally gotten them to work how I wanted them to. I'd like to expand my use of XBees in my project and use them as a "Wireless USB Cord." If that's what I should call it. Basically I have an Epson Thermal Printer that i'd like to connect to an XBee and then connect another one using a USB Adapter Board to the computer. You would have to use the green and white wires on the USB cord that's coming out of the printer, but how would I connect those to the XBee where I could send data to the printer?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.
- Ryan

EDIT: Found this link online of a Belkin product: http://www.belkin.com/us/support-produc ... 002G1SgAAK this is something like what I want to do, but I would like to use an XBee of course.

thefatmoop

Re: Wireless USB with XBee Pro

Post by thefatmoop »

nah xbees can't do this. Their modem tops out around 225Kb/s and most of that bw is used for error correction. usb2 is 480Mb/s i think. usb1 is 12Mb/s

I think.. lol

Dryberg

Post by Dryberg »

I understand that an XBee would not be able to handle full USB data speeds, but what if all I was interested in was an SSH link between a computer and a beaglebone black? The link could be limited by putty to 115200 baud which an XBee should be able to handle, yes? Would this be possible?

waltr

Post by waltr »

XBee's can do very short busts of 115k Baud data but can not stream at that rate. Also there can be clock rate accuracy issues with 115k Baud. 57k or 38k Baud is much better with Xbees and if this is just for using a terminal then you will not notice the speed difference.
XBee's use Async Serial data (COM PORT) with 3.3V TTL levels. If you can connect to the BBB using a serial port then ya pair of XBees can be used to make this serial port wireless. This should work fine for a terminal interface where not much data needs to be transferred.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”