Which XBee???

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
samzimmer

Which XBee???

Post by samzimmer »

Hello,

First, let me explain my project. I trying to create a wireless network of relays in my house to control power outlets, lights, etc. This system should be available outside my home network, but secured. Each module does not necessarily need to communicate with each other, just with the coordinator. The coordinator would be connected to a Netduino or Arduino Ethernet at my modem in order to relay information in. The relays I am using are controlled on 5v, but a transistor solves that problem with the 3.3 v output from the XBee.

So my question is which XBee is best for this solution? Should I use series 1 or 2, what power, zigbee mesh, pro, etc? With that being said, the price should ideally be kept under $25 or so. Is there a huge difference between the models, because the cheapest would be the best?

Thanks for any help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Which XBee???

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

From what you describe, I'd go with series 2. With a mesh configuration that is not too widely spaced, you don't need particularly powerful versions.

If you do not already have it, the Rob Faludi book is an excellent resource for a project like yours: https://www.adafruit.com/product/963

samzimmer

Re: Which XBee???

Post by samzimmer »

Thanks for the reply. The Series 2 mesh is actually the cheapest available to me :)
I have heard a lot about that book and I have already placed a hold for it at my library to save a little money.

Thanks again for the quick reply!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”