Xbee pro S3B and Ultimate GPS

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kvwood

Xbee pro S3B and Ultimate GPS

Post by kvwood »

I recently built 2 Xbee adapter kits to use with 2 Xbee pro S3B modules in order to communicate GSP data from a High Altitude balloon. XCTU recognizes both modules through the adapter kits. I have an Ultimate GPS breakout, vs 3, that I would like to use with the Xbee.

I was hoping someone could help give me some direction on how to wire the Utlimate Breakout to the Xbee adapter kit, so I can transmit the GPS data.

I am an astronomy instructor and very new to serial communication and micro processing circuitry, so some basic guidance on which terminals to connect would be very helpful. Below is a list of terminals from each board. Both are 5V friendly.

Ultimate GPS Breakuout, v3
3.3V
EN
VBAT
FIX
TX
RX
GND
VIN
PPS

Xbee pro XSC S3B connected to xbee adapter kit:
DTR
RST
GND
CTS
5V
RX
TX
RTS
3V

Finally, at the receiving end, do you think I can use the Xbee adapter with an FTDI cord and see the data in XCTU serial monitor?
Or would it be better to connect the adapter to an arduino uno and use the arduino serial monitor?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!
Kent

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Xbee pro S3B and Ultimate GPS

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I haven't used an XBee with a GPS, but you ought to be able to hook it up this way:
XBee GPS
5V VIN
GND GND
RX TX
TX RX

The FTDI cord should work on the receiving end.

kvwood

Re: Xbee pro S3B and Ultimate GPS

Post by kvwood »

Great Rick. I'll give a try and see how it goes. Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”