Xbee Adapter Kit LEDs

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lizardF

Xbee Adapter Kit LEDs

Post by lizardF »

Hello -
Just finished soldering up the Xbee Adapter kit and wanted to do quick sanity check before I brick my Xbee. I'm using XBee 2mW Series 2.5 Chip Antenna (2.4GHz XBee XB24-BCIT-004), FTDI cable, Linux, and PuTTY.

On the project page: http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/configure.html
It mentions that "if the module has correct power, the green LED should be blinking". My green LED is on solid, no blink.
The red activity LED also doesn't blink as I'd expect it when I send attention cmds via PuTTY. The chip seems to work fine, I get responses to "+++", "ATMY", etc., I just don't see red LED action.
I've closely examined all solder joints and all looks fine. When I apply +5V pwr across the LED and R1, the LED lights.

1) Should the green Associate LED blink or be steady?
2) Suggestions on why the RSSI LED doesn't appear to light?

thanks
Last edited by lizardF on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit

Re: Xbee Adapter Kit LEDs

Post by adafruit »

sounds like you have a different xbee that doesn't blink. thats not too bad. The RSSI light only goes on when it -receives- data. DONT apply 5V to the XBee pins...the XBee is 3.3v only and you can risk damage!

lizardF

Post by lizardF »

After I upgraded the firmware, I'm getting the expected behaviour. The Xbee came with "ZIGBEE ROUTER/END DEVICE AT" installed. After I put on "ZNET 2.5 COORDINATOR AT", the green LED blinks now.

The red LED is also working when data is being received. With Sparkfun's Xbee Explorer USB, every character typed causes an LED flicker so I guess I was expecting similar from the Adapter Kit. I didn't know what to expect. All is well.

When I was unclear on the red LEDs function, I applied +5V across the LED's + pin and the opposite end of the R1 resister, just to test that the LED worked and my connections were good. The Xbee was not installed on the board.

I'm now the proud owner of an Arduino Xbee Shield, Xbee Explorer USB, and the Xbee Adapter Kit. Of the 3, the Adapter Kit is the best - I love having the Xbee's pins exposed and it was dirt simple to build. I wish I hadn't bought the shield, it's just a bulky boat anchor.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

great! I will see what the explorer does to blink LEDs, afaik the LEDs are on the FTDI chip not the xbee

krowney

Post by krowney »

I just soldered up my xbee adapter kit and plugged it into my computer via the USB/FTDI cable. I too am getting a solid green LED, but no response on the +++ command via hyperterminal.

I just started and could use basic clues if anyone has them.

The XBEE chip is the "XBee Pro Series 2" from DIGI International. The solder joints look ok to me at least. The chip is a bit big and I had to move the voltage regulator and capacitor out of the way to fit the chip into the sockets.

The red light does not blink when I type stuff.

Maybe switch to putty and see how that works?

Not sure what to do. Would be psyched to get free clues.

:D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

its probably just how series 2 works
use x-ctu to connect and configure it!

krowney

Post by krowney »

Confirmed. Works fine. Hyperterminal, not so much...but x-ctu works great!

Thanks very much.

You rule. :)

karlgg

Post by karlgg »

I've occasionally had problems with the radio not listening to me, and fixed it by grounding the reset pin for a bit. Then it responded fine.

mcintoda

Post by mcintoda »

Did you attempt to do the Tweet-a-Watt with the Series 2?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”