Clock initially worked, now does not

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

Re: Clock initially worked, now does not

Post by adafruit »

yah...it seems unlikely but it could be the chip or pin is somehow bonked. :(

azurewraith

Post by azurewraith »

Guess I ordered mega328's instead. I tried flashing with the Sept30 firmware one and putting it in, no beep. bummer.

jsgf

Post by jsgf »

azurewraith wrote:Guess I ordered mega328's instead. I tried flashing with the Sept30 firmware one and putting it in, no beep. bummer.
Did you change MCU= at the top of the Makefile?

azurewraith

Post by azurewraith »

I ran 'make program' and that did not flash the chip correctly because the makefile needed to be changed. So I just ran avrdude with the correct parameters to flash iv.hex. I'm assuming I might be in error state because I didn't change the target for the compilation. I will try that when I can get back to the board.

azurewraith

Post by azurewraith »

If MCU=atmega168, the code compiles fine... but when I change it to atmega328p it doesn't compile anymore. Had no idea that switching targets like that was such a big deal *sigh*

Any ideas?

Compiling: iv.c
avr-gcc -c -mmcu=atmega328p -I. -g -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpa
ck-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DF_CPU=8000000 -std=gnu99 -D
TXMODE= iv.c -o iv.o
In file included from iv.c:35:
fonttable.h:30: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ in signedness
fonttable.h:44: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ in signedness
iv.c:70: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ in signedness
iv.c:78: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ in signedness
iv.c:124: warning: 'SIG_OVERFLOW0' appears to be a misspelled signal handler
iv.c:186: warning: 'SIG_PIN_CHANGE2' appears to be a misspelled signal handler
iv.c: In function 'SIG_PIN_CHANGE2':
iv.c:190: error: 'PD5' undeclared (first use in this function)
iv.c:190: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
iv.c:190: error: for each function it appears in.)
iv.c:211: error: 'PD4' undeclared (first use in this function)
iv.c: At top level:
iv.c:243: warning: 'SIG_PIN_CHANGE0' appears to be a misspelled signal handler
iv.c: In function 'SIG_PIN_CHANGE0':
iv.c:245: error: 'PB0' undeclared (first use in this function)
iv.c:364: warning: 'SIG_INTERRUPT0' appears to be a misspelled signal handler
iv.c: In function 'SIG_INTERRUPT0':
iv.c:366: error: 'PD2' undeclared (first use in this function)
iv.c:376: warning: 'SIG_COMPARATOR' appears to be a misspelled signal handler
iv.c: In function 'SIG_COMPARATOR':
iv.c:381: error: 'PD3' undeclared (first use in this function)
iv.c:382: error: 'PB5' undeclared (first use in this function)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

heh, you've found the annoying '328p bug in avr-gcc :)

azurewraith

Post by azurewraith »

rawr. I am a master of encountering known issues and messing up perfectly good kits ^_^.

mike31416

Post by mike31416 »

I ran into the same issues when porting to the Arduino Duemilanove. I put #ifdef around the interrupt names and did the same to create defines for the port defs. I have a copy of the code here that you could use for reference. Ignore the other changes because they are particular to the duemilanove port (timing changes).

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12948

Mike

azurewraith

Post by azurewraith »

Thanks Mike, those changes were exactly what avr-gcc needed.

With an m328p freshly flashed firmware in hand I tried to see if I could init the uC...no dice. So I removed R2 again to see if I could at least get the thing to boot. It beeped but it was a really long beep :D, but the boost diode didn't have 50V so I put the old chip back in, got the normal beep but only 9V or 14V on the boost diode lead depending on when you plugged it in. So now it looks like I'm worse off. Bah.

azurewraith

Post by azurewraith »

Any other suggestions? I'm out of ideas. Can I send it back if it does not start working again?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we dont accept returns of assembled kits. you should go with our suggestion to forget about the battery detection circuitry and remove the resistor and take out the battery. use the microcontroller that came with the kit, do the tests you had gone through before. if youre going to program a new chip, dont complicate it by picking a different one.

azurewraith

Post by azurewraith »

Interesting.

I put everything back to its previous boosting state (no R2, original chip, no batt, no vfd) and it is beeping but not boosting to 50V. I've mentioned this already. The thing is not even in a working state, and I only saw it ever work for like 2h. Could that be my fault? Sure. Do I really want to spend another week debugging it? No. Seems as though it is never getting out of low power mode b/c the chip is running at 3.3V. I'd happily deal without battery backup if I could just get back to that state.

The whole thing with the other chip was to see if somehow I blew out the analog comparator on the chip that was included, that's it. I was working with what I had.

Could I ship the assembled kit to your lab for a post mortem? I really do not want to have thrown $70 down the toilet. :(

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Lets try to get it working again, after all it did before. Please follow our instructions and do not go off and program chips or anything, ok? ;) It is possible to damage the kit by programming a chip incorrectly. If the chip is completely )@*$#@'d then you can buy one from us

First, Why is the chip running at 3.3V? Are you checking the 7805 power supply? Is the fuse very hot?

azurewraith

Post by azurewraith »

The innermost pin (from the edge of the board) of the regulator is 3.3V. The fuse nor the regulator is getting hot at all. Every time I touch a soldering iron to the board the behavior changes, which is pretty weird. The only work I did to the board was to add back in R2 and test the 328p, once I took R2 back out things were awry again.

I can order some mega168p's, that's fine. Maybe it would help if I said that I do hardware/software engineering/debug as a full time job. I know that the debug process involves some 'tweak a knob' see if the behavior changes, frankly I know that reprogramming my atmega168 chip that came with the clock is a big mistake unless I had another chip just like it. Given the voltages that I was seeing on the analog comparator pin given R2 being populated, the chip should have worked properly and detected the internal bandgap differential. That's why I wanted to try a different chip. i will try an atmega168p then.

You have sort of got me at a loss here, I have followed the guidance given to me to the letter. There has been nothing new presented in this thread that I have not checked already. When I say that the board is not working, I mean that I 95% of the time I say the board is not functioning, have the original 168p in there and have been testing that.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Don't worry, we can get it working again. Its great that you are experienced in hardware & your soldering skills are top notch! Thats helpful when debugging a project. Some people have no experience at all, which can cause problems. Given that we have no way of knowing what experience levels our customers have, we have found that its best to debug kits step by step. Usually the problem is not the chip. For example, if you arent getting 5V from the regulator, it implies that there is a major problem that is unlikely to be solved by any chip reprogramming. We need to get the kit back to a 'working' state with a 5V supply before we can continue (possibly with a new chip, etc).

So lets get the voltage regulator working, since that is the most important thing right now. if it isnt working that means something is very amiss.
Gently remove the microcontroller. Check for bent pins since it can happen when removing/inserting chips. the VFD driver should already be out
Now, measure the voltage coming out of your power supply: http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/voltage.html
we're assuming you're using the power supply that came with the kit, if you're not using that, get the matching power supply.
What is the voltage on the tip power supply with respect to the barrel? it should be 9V-14V DC

Second, since you do this for a job, do you have access to a scope? :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”