Monochron power supply

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bastard

Monochron power supply

Post by bastard »

Hi Limor,

what kind of power supply is included?
This one with exchangeable plug? If not, will you please remove it from my order if I mention it in the remarks field?

Bye

Stefan

adafruit

Re: Monochron power supply

Post by adafruit »

bastard wrote:Hi Limor, what kind of power supply is included?
This one with exchangeable plug? If not, will you please remove it from my order if I mention it in the remarks field? Bye Stefan
it's not the same power supply - we're not going to do custom order requests, sorry. we can cancel the order if you'd like - just email [email protected] -- eventually we may have all the items separate, but for now please respect our requests so we can best crank out the kits :)

cheers,
adafruit

bastard

Post by bastard »

My last post vanished ... never mind.

The power supply is unusable for me. Please keep it. Maybe other non US customers think the same. Maybe they have already a wallwart or similar. I don't want to pollute the environment by throwing it to the waste basket. Please think about to remove all power supplys from your kits. The MintyBoost kit does not invlude the "case" - so it should be possible to seperate the kits from useless parts. Thank you very much.

Stefan

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

bastard wrote:My last post vanished ... never mind. The power supply is unusable for me. Please keep it. Maybe other non US customers think the same. Maybe they have already a wallwart or similar. I don't want to pollute the environment by throwing it to the waste basket. Please think about to remove all power supplys from your kits. The MintyBoost kit does not invlude the "case" - so it should be possible to seperate the kits from useless parts. Thank you very much. Stefan
hi stefan,

we posted a reply to your message in the other forum too. we think a lot about power supplies - we also release different versions of kits, updates and "packs" after an initial kit release - we appreciate the suggestions, keep in mind a kit is not "set in stone" - we may offer options later. if you'd like to wait until we have more options for a specific kit that's an option too :)

thanks,
adafruit

joerg_daehn

Post by joerg_daehn »

adafruit wrote:
bastard wrote:My last post vanished ... never mind. The power supply is unusable for me. Please keep it. Maybe other non US customers think the same. Maybe they have already a wallwart or similar. I don't want to pollute the environment by throwing it to the waste basket. Please think about to remove all power supplys from your kits. The MintyBoost kit does not invlude the "case" - so it should be possible to seperate the kits from useless parts. Thank you very much. Stefan
hi stefan,

we posted a reply to your message in the other forum too. we think a lot about power supplies - we also release different versions of kits, updates and "packs" after an initial kit release - we appreciate the suggestions, keep in mind a kit is not "set in stone" - we may offer options later. if you'd like to wait until we have more options for a specific kit that's an option too :)

thanks,
adafruit
Limor,

I have to support Stefan here: The wallwart is a failure. I bought an adapter, plugged it in (may be the wrong way, but how should I know as an European) and it blew a fuse or something. Smelled like burnt plastics. Please, make the wallwarts an option, especially for overseas customers.

Joerg

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

was it one of the switching power supplies that says 110-220V on it?

joerg_daehn

Post by joerg_daehn »

adafruit wrote:was it one of the switching power supplies that says 110-220V on it?
I have no clue as I recently got rid of my electronics waste (brought it to recycling facility, of course). May be this helps: I bought an ice tube clock kit, so you can just look up my name in your customer db, I guess.

(OT: For the x0xb0x kit (if you ever make any new ones) though the adapter should be included as it's AC/AC (I think) and hard to come by, I guess. And just to stop everyone frying their x0x inadvertently.)

Best regards,

Joerg Daehn, Hannover, Germany

r17

Post by r17 »

I havent had any problem with those wall warts in England. I have one from the Ice Tube kit and one from an Evil mad Scientist clock and so far neither have given any problem.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

joerg.daehn wrote:
adafruit wrote:was it one of the switching power supplies that says 110-220V on it?
I have no clue as I recently got rid of my electronics waste (brought it to recycling facility, of course). May be this helps: I bought an ice tube clock kit, so you can just look up my name in your customer db, I guess.
they're certainly designed to work everywhere, but it could be you got a bad one. please contact support@adafruit & we'll send you out a new one, we've had -thousands- used around the world and this is the first time someone's mentioned it

winch

Post by winch »

Some of those US to Euro adapters are unsafe. They are made from plastic which is far too brittle and breaks easily. They also have really poor construction so shorts and the like are not out of the question.
Best to spend more and buy a branded adapter in retail packaging from a reputable chain.

joerg_daehn

Post by joerg_daehn »

Some of those US to Euro adapters are unsafe. They are made from plastic which is far too brittle and breaks easily. They also have really poor construction so shorts and the like are not out of the question.
Best to spend more and buy a branded adapter in retail packaging from a reputable chain.
Actually the adapter to the adapter didn't break. It was the wallwart.

I would think that something like this: Image would be better.

http://www.netzgeraet.de/images/medium/ ... 587991.jpg

The adapter-adapter: Well it was a "Brennenstuhl" (could be translated as "burning chair" which doesn't inspire much confidence :D ) that is considered good to superior quality over here.

http://www.BANNED.de/ce/de/product/6108 ... KT/0226312

ssquire

Post by ssquire »

Not too sure of the QC on the adapters, or, more likely, of the incoming parts inspection pre-assembly. The one that came with the monochron has an LED that is a LOT brighter than the one from the ice-tube clock kit. Not a complaint and nothing a resistor won't cure, but noteworthy.

EdA

Post by EdA »

Did you consider a 9V battery as a power source?

Thanks, this project looks amazing!

/Ed

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”