Dreaded IceTube D4

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
esoffron

Dreaded IceTube D4

Post by esoffron »

First, I want to say my clock works, and is awesome. But...

I'm a noob and haven't had this problem. I went to put in D4, which is near the end of the instructions, and couldn't get the leg through one of the holes. I figured it was a blob of stray solder, but really I think it's a splinter of fiberglass. D4 isn't essential to the operation of the clock so it's not a fatal flaw but I would like to be able to use the battery, so: What's the best way to clear the obstruction? I couldn't just push it out of the way with anything small enough to ream out the hole.

Also, I'm not damaging anything by running without D4, right? I left the battery out of the holder.

Thanks!

adafruit

Re: Dreaded IceTube D4

Post by adafruit »

if you can push thru, try that?

charliex

Post by charliex »

I use the tiny dremel bits or sewing/quilting needles for clearing pcb holes, i do it by hand though, no mechanical force.

esoffron

Post by esoffron »

Mmm. Sewing needle is a good idea. I was trying a paperclip, but that's too big for that hole. I also tried (with pretty serious force) to push the part through, but the wire wasn't very stiff. A needle would be stiffer but also a good diameter.

Thanks!

tcharron

Post by tcharron »

I'm not sure which leg of the diode is the problem, and haven't looked at the board, but...

Is there anywhere else in the area that is electrically suitable for the connecton? I'd be inclined to just avoid using the hole if it was more than a 5 second fix.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you probably need to use those pads. we suggest just going for it!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”