Newbie needs guidance, pls help

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kerosen

Newbie needs guidance, pls help

Post by kerosen »

I’ve already had the IceTube clock and I'm waiting the Monochrone. I have a hobby regarding clocks in particular weird, old fashion or odd clocks. The two clocks from Adafruit fit well in my small collection (Nixie clocks, osciloscope tube clock, mA-meters clock etc, I'll come back with pictures).
I need help and advice to be able myself to modify and upload the firmware for both the IceTube and Monochrone clocks. Having basic programming and digital electronic skills and I need a bit of a push (read guidance, thanks :oops: ) to start this.
What hardware do I need from Adafruit, maybe the USBtinyISP and/or something else? What software?
Is anywhere a guide available on how to start? Or a book?
I've always wanted to learn more about the microcontrollers and I think the Adafruit clocks are now an excellent reason to start.
Please advice and I'm ready to take any harsh humour, jokes or cynicism :)

Thank you Adafruit and all the forum members for this very nice community you are.

adafruit

Re: Newbie needs guidance, pls help

Post by adafruit »

well, both are written for AVRs in a language called C. so we do suggest learning C programming first, theres hundreds of books (with software on a cdrom) or even free online tutorials

len17

Post by len17 »

As far as tools go:

For software, see here: http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/ There are instructions for installing the software tools for different operating systems.

To load firmware onto the Ice Tube you'll need a USBtinyISP. For the Monochron I think you can use either a USBtinyISP or an FTDI cable.

Here are some tips on flashing the Ice Tube firmware: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13310

kerosen

Post by kerosen »

Thanks a lot for the advice.
I know C and C++ languages therefore I need to purchase the USBtinyISP.
:D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes, if you know C you're basically got the hard part done - you just need a programmer!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”