Monochron build report

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mralex

Monochron build report

Post by mralex »

Built my Monochron--

Overall, fun build, good instructions, running fine.

Couple of comments:

Didn't get a wall wart in my box. I have another that seems to work that produces 9v, and Adafruit is sending me one. so all good there. I was a little confused not only because it seemed odd not to include it, but it wasn't in the parts list--so that was confusing.

Second bit of confusion--possibly due to my noobishness, but the part I got that was supposed to the 7805 power regulator appeared to be slightly different from the one pictured in the directions, and the labelling was different as well. However, it seems to work.

Third question--when the time came in the directions to test the voltage, my multimeter showed it as 2v, not 5v--the instructions didn't say what to do if the voltage was *not* correct. I plowed ahead. I tested my multimeter on some 9v batteries and some AA batteries, the readings seem accurate.

So it finished and it works--though one minor glitch has occured a couple times. Every now and then the screen freezes in a flickering mode, and the animation stops and time stops. Unplugging and replugging seems to fix it.

I wonder if the new power supply will fix the issue--I'll report.

adafruit_support

Re: Monochron build report

Post by adafruit_support »

Really, Next time you build a kit, if testing the power supply does not show the correct voltages, or a given test doesn't pass as expected, don't proceed. It only makes any possible debugging that much harder, if/when things don't work further on down the line.

Regardless, please post clear pictures of the top and bottom of your main board.

mralex

Post by mralex »

Fair enough on the folly of plowing ahead despite the incorrect reading.

The case is now all assembled and as noted--working fine--beginner's luck, I am sure--I'll post a pic of the main board when I get my workbench cleared off again and I can disassemble the case.

Tomsk

Post by Tomsk »

Funnily enough, the same thing happened to me. I built mine over the weekend and the '5V test' gave me 1.9xxV. I checked all my joints (and at that stage, there's not really a lot to get wrong) and checked my multimeter accuracy on another source but couldn't find anything wrong. I decided to continue to the beep test and this worked fine. I carried on to the end and I have a fully working clock. No problems seen since then.

Just seems a bit strange that we both got (almost) identical voltages. I am also using my own PSU (as the one supplied has US pins and I didn't have an adaptor handy at the time) but it was brand new so I have no reason to suspect it's faulty.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”