Ice Tube Clock Problems

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
krjhitch

Ice Tube Clock Problems

Post by krjhitch »

I've got a few problems with my clock.

When I put it all together I'm missing a the upper left bar on each of the characters on my display (it's unlit). I checked for continuity all the way down to the display chip, I didn't find any issues.

Second, the display pulses, I can only see even time counts.

I think both of these may be related to my issue. I somehow got solder on the top of the board, UNDER the socket for the control chip (I forget what it's called, but it's the DIP-24 socket). I thought it was all cleaned up but when I take the chip out of the socket to test continuity (on the socket), I notice that pin 11 & 12 have 88k ohms of resistance between them, but looking at the schematic I don't think they should have any.

I've been trying in vain to unsolder the entire dip socket with a solder iron and a vacuum pen, but I can't seem to get it anywhere close to where I can pry the dip socket out and try to clean up the connections. Even if I could get a replacement dip socket, I'm not sure I could get this one off.

Anyone have any suggestions other than buying another kit and starting over, which I may do?

Thanks

adafruit

Re: Ice Tube Clock Problems

Post by adafruit »

1. are you sure you know which segment is related to which pin? your problems have pretty much nothing to do with the AVR chip, attempting to desolder it is not a good idea. check the top segment pin to see that it is soldered/not shorted to something else.

2. see the faq: http://www.ladyada.net/make/icetube/faq.html

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”