Ice Tube Overcurrent Problem

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
darkgrue

Ice Tube Overcurrent Problem

Post by darkgrue »

I have an Ice Tube Clock kit I built quite some time ago that has only recently developed a problem where after some minutes of operation, either the display will blank out, or it will emit a long beep and blank out. During these times, the fuse F1 will be noticiably hot to the touch.

After it has had time to cool off, the fuse resets as it should and it will allow itself to be plugged in, beeps on restart, appears to operate as normal, until the fuse heats up again and shuts it down.

This kit has been working normally running the stock firmware for some time (months), and has been sitting in my office relatively undisturbed, so an assembly error seems extremely unlikely. Nevertheless, I've disassembled the kit to examine the board for shorts and stray material under high magnification and not located any problems.

The voltage regulator is generating the proper voltage. I haven't attempted to remove IC1 or IC2 to attempt to read the high-voltage side (I understand it won't read correctly with at least IC2 in, correct?). I'm a little nervous about pulling that, I've had bad luck with destroying PLCC sockets in the past.

The only symptoms are F1 getting hot and the clock shutting down after a relatively short time of operation.

I'm wondering if I'm experiencing a problem identical or related to that in post http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... rt=17#wrap?

Any suggestions on how to repair my clock? I really do like it and would love to see it ticking away again!

adafruit

Re: Ice Tube Overcurrent Problem

Post by adafruit »

could be it! please email [email protected] with your order # and a link to this thread

darkgrue

Post by darkgrue »

adafruit wrote:could be it! please email [email protected] with your order # and a link to this thread
Info is on its way now, thanks for the fast response! :D

darkgrue

Post by darkgrue »

Following up to my own post...

Recieved the replacement part today, put it in "backwards" as directed, and the clock has been running now several hours without a failure. I've even got the GPS modification working. :D

Fantastic support!

mike31416

Post by mike31416 »

What part was replaced?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”