Monochron Display Problem

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sund

Monochron Display Problem

Post by sund »

I have a had my monochrome for a couple of months now and recently. with about 2 weeks, the display has started to have the issues shown.

I have adjusted the contrast both with the pot and in the config menu and nothing fixes it.
IMG_0578_1.jpg
IMG_0578_1.jpg (220.14 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
IMG_0579_1.jpg
IMG_0579_1.jpg (211.7 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Thanks in advance.

Agent24

Re: Monochron Display Problem

Post by Agent24 »

I've got an older laptop which has a similar (but much less obvious) problem.

I think it is a fault with the LCD.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It could be the display. Or possibly marginal connections between the display and the main board. Does re-seating the connector make any difference? Post some photos of the main board too.

sund

Post by sund »

It has been working since June when I built it with no problems until recently. I have reinserted it and touched up the joints on the display. Still no better.

Requested pictures are included.
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg (303.05 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0581.jpg (272.7 KiB) Viewed 3540 times

adafruit_support_bill

Nice soldering job! If you gently squeeze the bezel around the display, is there any change?

sund

Post by sund »

Thanks.

Squeezing the bezel doesn't do anything.

adafruit_support_bill

The connection to conductive surface of the glass is via a conductive polymer strip that needs to be held in compression by the bezel, If the bezel loosens at all it can make the display act strange. But if squeezing does not change anything, it is probably some other problem with the LCD display.

sund

Post by sund »

My thought is also that its a problem with the display. My next question is since I bought this 3 months ago and it has just recently started to be flakey, is there a warranty on the part?

xldave

Post by xldave »

I have just got round to building my monochron which I ordered a couple of months back and I seem to have a similar problem straight off. There is vetical "ghosting" across the whole screen along the numbers and "paddles" etc. Kinda dissapointing to get that after building it all up, its works fine in all other respects. And chance of a fix or replacement display.

Cheers
Dave

adafruit_support_bill

Dave,

Can you post a photo? Does the contrast adjustment help?

adafruit_support_bill

Sund,
I bought this 3 months ago and it has just recently started to be flakey, is there a warranty on the part?
I'll check on that.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

I bought this 3 months ago and it has just recently started to be flakey, is there a warranty on the part?
sure, we'll replace it for you. please send an email to [email protected] and reference this thread.

thanks,
adafruit

xldave

Post by xldave »

Heres a pic of my screen. This is with the contrast adjusted to get the background black as possible.
Attachments
monochron.jpg
monochron.jpg (255.09 KiB) Viewed 3438 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the latest batch of displays are not as dark as we would have liked. unfortunately this is just how FSTN- LCDs look - they have low contrast in comparison to TFT or OLED display. tweaking the brightness and contrast and angle (by tilting the clock) will make it look pretty good from more than a few feet away

if the display is flakey - parts disappearing/appearing then we can replace it and that will fix the problem

if the contrast is not very high, thats just how these types of LCDs look - replacing it will not 'fix the problem'

xldave

Post by xldave »

I dont wanna sound like a [REMOVED by admin] but the photos and videos on your website all show a nice black screen. Had I known my clock would look like this i wouldnt have bought it. Dont suppose I can get a lcd someplace else that would look better because i dont want to put my clock on display looking like it does, it looks like there is something wrong with it.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”