Reprogramming the Ice Tube Clock?

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crites

Reprogramming the Ice Tube Clock?

Post by crites »

Can anyone tell me if I can use the Serial SpokePOV Dongle (DASA AVR Programmer) to reprogram my Ice Tube Clock? I hope so as I sit here looking at my SpokePOV Dongle and Ice Tube with the GPS soldered on.

Also, I notice the Donge has a 10-way connector and the Ice Tube only has a six way.

Thanks.

-Crites

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Reprogramming the Ice Tube Clock?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It might work if you make a 10-pin to 6-pin adapter cable. But it would be slow.
This page shows the pinouts: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article ... rgetboards

crites

Post by crites »

Slow as in tedious to wire up, or slow as in it will take awhile to actually program the micro on the Ice Tube clock?

It looks like the pin-out diagrams of the 6 and 10-way connectors is exactly what I am looking for. :D

Since I'm only doing this once I'll just wire up a few jumper wires to get the appropriate signals from the 10-way on the serial programmer to the 6-way pins on the Ice Tube clock. While programming I'll keep the jostling to a minimum! :)

adafruit_support_bill

Slow as in programming. DASA programmers don't work well with many of the USB/serial adapters. But if you have a setup that worked with the SpokePOV, it should be alright.

crites

Post by crites »

I haven't used the DASA programmer for anything yet, I bought it thinking I could get away with only spending $7.50 to reprogram my Ice Tube clock to support a GPS time base.

Do you think I should just spend the $22 and buy the USBtinyISP AVR Programmer Kit (USB SpokePOV Dongle) - v2.0?

If I give it a try with the DASA and only get it half programmed will the boot loader still be intact such that I could reprogram it with a USBtinyISP if required?

crites

Post by crites »

Lined up the signal names between the 6 and 10-way connectors, plugged the RS-323 cable into COM1 on my confuzer, ran avrdude, and everything worked great! OK, maybe I had to mess around with it a little bit, but I didn't cuss once. Programmed in about 10 seconds with COM1 set to 4800 buad.

I change the minutes on my clock to some wrong value and it jumps right back to the correct time..... like it's possessed! :D Must be the flashing LED on the GPS means it's locked. I was impressed after hooking it up in my basement it even sync'd on the right time.

adafruit_support_bill

Nice work! Congratulations :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”