(Ice Tube Clock) Time not being kept while powered under battery backup

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rgollub

(Ice Tube Clock) Time not being kept while powered under battery backup

Post by rgollub »

Have built kit thru completion and ALL works as advertised with a minor exception as per the topic title.

So far what I did was to confirm that:
a. battery voltage is sound (it is; measured in the range 2.9-3.0 V while inserted)
b. processor clock is running (it is as per oscilloscope)
c. voltage of "batt sense" pin is as designed (it is; approx 1.2 V on external power; approx 0.7 V on battery).

The description is straightforward: when powering the clock back onto the 9 V source, the time displayed back starts off exactly from the time it was when the external power was removed! In other words, time "was not kept" while under battery power.

It could be either a hardware (faulty/marginal processor IC) or a software problem (untriggerred interrupt?). Unsure as yet.

Would appreciate any instructions and hints as to how I should proceed from here in order to troubleshoot my clock, which otherwise is superb.

Thanks in advance for attention.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: (Ice Tube Clock) Time not being kept while powered under battery backup

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

b. processor clock is running (it is as per oscilloscope)
Is it still running when the 9v supply is removed?

rgollub

Post by rgollub »

Tks for quick reply.

I wasn't clear enough in my point (b).

What I should have made unambiguous is that "the processor oscillator is orderly running while also under battery power".

Hence, replying to the query objectively: Yes, once the external power is removed, the oscillator continues to operate. I checked by observing the pin waveform with an oscilloscope. Didn't bother checking frequency, as I just wanted to make sure that the processor was still alive under the voltage supplied by the battery. Thus, as far as the oscillator is concerned, _it_ was "alive". However, if other areas of the processor weren't, that still remains to be tested.

Hope now the whole scenario is complete.

TIA for attn.

adafruit_support_bill

That is unusual. If the oscillator is running, it should still update the time while in sleep mode. Check the oscillator frequency. Is the time exactly the same as when the power is removed, or is it possibly just running very slowly?

rgollub

Post by rgollub »

adafruit_support wrote:That is unusual.
Yes, I know... That's why I am consulting you.
adafruit_support wrote:If the oscillator is running, it should still update the time while in sleep mode.
Exactly. But, as it isn't updating then what must be assessed is whether "while in sleep mode" is true. Or, more to the point, "in what state the processor actually is after ext power is removed?".
adafruit_support wrote:Check the oscillator frequency.
Will do, but the probability that it is running at the crystal frequency is very close to 100%. See following comment.
adafruit_support wrote:Is the time exactly the same as when the power is removed, or is it possibly just running very slowly?
One experiment I have executed was to record the time being displayed at the time of removing the power. Then, roughly one hour later I checked what had happened to the internal time once I reinstated the external power. Needless to say that time started off from the recorded value (give or take a few seconds due to measurement imprecision). Had it running been slow, I imagine I would see a significant discernible difference: unfortunately that was not the case.

(For the record, this type of experiment was conducted at least thrice. The last one it is reported hereinbefore. Surely the outcome is reproducible as many times as required.)

Hope you are now convinced that the condition requires a strategy of attack, as, I am almost sure, the answer to the riddle won't be trivial, and I count on you to help me out. TIA.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

can you post a clear photo of your main pcb?

rgollub

Post by rgollub »

adafruit wrote:can you post a clear photo of your main pcb?
Sure. No problem. Will revert in due course, probably tomorrow.

For my guidance, could you explain me your rationale behind the request? Maybe I could enhance your thinking with my own... :)

TIA.

rgollub

Post by rgollub »

rgollub wrote:
adafruit_support wrote:Check the oscillator frequency.
Will do, but the probability that it is running at the crystal frequency is very close to 100%. See following comment.
OK, here is the data regarding the oscillator:
Attached picture shows waveform, measured at pin 10 (resolution of V=.5 V/div and H=20 usec/div) giving a roughly period of 30 usec, or, roughly 33 kHz for the oscillator frequency.

Amplitude of roughly 1 Vpp with battery voltage of 2.82 V, which delivers (after diode) 2.66 V as VCC.

Finally, voltage at pin 13 (BATTSENS) is 0.70 V, or roughly 26% of VCC.
Waveform at pin 10
Waveform at pin 10
Oscillator_pin_10.JPG (51.66 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
rgollub wrote:
adafruit wrote:can you post a clear photo of your main pcb?
Sure. No problem. Will revert in due course, probably tomorrow.
I have the picture but, due to its high resolution, your restriction of 1 MB per attachment disallows me from attaching to this post. Please instruct how/where I should send it to and thus have it reach you.
rgollub wrote:For my guidance, could you explain me your rationale behind the request? Maybe I could enhance your thinking with my own... :)
Your eloquent silence is well understood: you didn't want to hurt my feelings... :lol: :wink:

adafruit_support_bill

I have the picture but, due to its high resolution, your restriction of 1 MB per attachment disallows me from attaching to this post. Please instruct how/where I should send it to and thus have it reach you.
You can re-size it (800x600 should be fine). Or you can put it up on one of the many photo sites and post a link here.

rgollub

Post by rgollub »

adafruit_support wrote:You can re-size it (800x600 should be fine). Or you can put it up on one of the many photo sites and post a link here.
OK. Re-sized pictured to within allowed limit.
Overview-cropped.jpg
Overview-cropped.jpg (570.75 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
PCB-cropped.JPG
PCB-cropped.JPG (749.79 KiB) Viewed 2712 times

adafruit_support_bill

That looks like a good clean build. Not sure what would cause the loss of time other than a malfunctioning processor. We can try replacing it.
Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement Ice Tube processor.

alexosadzinski

Post by alexosadzinski »

I have precisely the same issue, with exactly the same measurements, including the oscillator waveform on pin 10. I emailed support and was told to post on the forums, so that's what I'm doing. I'm wondering if the new processor fixed the problem described in this thread?

Thanks! Alex.

adafruit_support_bill

Post photos of the front and back of the board and we'll check the overall assembly.

jarchie

Post by jarchie »

I don't know if it is relevant, but I suspect the official firmware sometimes fails to wake during sleep for timekeeping (1, 2). After the watchdog detects the condition and resets the microcontroller a nondeterministic number of times, the clock eventually starts to keep time. But if external power is restored before that happens, it can appear like the clock is not able to keep time during sleep.

If you haven't already, it might be worth allowing the clock run on the battery backup for an hour to see if normal timekeeping eventually starts to work.

wildtang3nt

Post by wildtang3nt »

My clock exhibited the exact same problem when I first built it using the included ATmega168v and the factory firmware. I suspected this, and the flashing display could be caused by my swapping the oscillator caps for 10pF ones at first, but the latter is because of the reverse-package Q3 transistor. At any rate, all my problems were solved by swapping in an ATmega328p with jarchie's xmas-icetube firmware. So perhaps this one is a firmware bug?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”