Chronodot failing

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Zh4x0r

Chronodot failing

Post by Zh4x0r »

I'm using a Chronodot on a project that needs time to be accurate in the long run, but for some reason, the Chronodot keeps on randomly resetting to January 2000... no idea why...

It'll run just fine for a while, then all of a sudden, reset to 2000...

I have it hooked up to an Arduino over I2c, along with a Polar HRMI and a blinkm minm.

any ideas?

I've tried resetting the clock manually several times, but it still resets randomly.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Chronodot failing

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is it resetting while powered, or while running on battery? Post photos front & back showing your soldering.

Zh4x0r

Post by Zh4x0r »

I'm not quite sure when it's resetting, I'm currently running a test program to determine that, here are the photos, the other end of the cable shown goes to a block of pin rows where I connect all the i2c devices in the project (Chronodot, Sparkfun HRMI, BlinkM MinM) and all the other devices are performing normally

Image Image

I'm using http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24565 this chronodot library to connect to it and it reports data every time it's called, BUT at seemingly random times, it resets the clock to 2000.

Zh4x0r

Post by Zh4x0r »

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You have one of the newer version with a pre-attached battery holder and the other soldering looks OK. Check the voltage on your battery.

As far as I know, the only thing that should reset the chip is a complete loss of power (including battery). MaceTech (the people behind the Chronodot) stop by these forums fairly regularly, but you might try querying them direct to see if they have any other ideas what might cause it. http://macetech.com/store/index.php?mai ... contact_us

Zh4x0r

Post by Zh4x0r »

battery voltage is 3.09, so i think that should be fine, i'll contact them and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks!!

neutron spin

Post by neutron spin »

Hello,

I looked at your board and the +VCC pad looks a little suspect. I would re-flow that pad and run your Chronodot again to see if the dropout still occurs...Just my 2 pennies worth.. :D

Zh4x0r

Post by Zh4x0r »

Just rechecked it, the image makes it look weird, but looking at it under a magnifier shows it's flowed fine. I think part of the solder got gouged when I cut off the excess wire.

Thanks for the tip tho!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”