Monochron LCD does not display RATT

by slikz21 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Yesterday I attempted to assemble my Monochron clock kit (v1.1). Everything was going fine (voltage test registered 5.05V, 2-beep test passed) until I tried to hook up the LCD. Now, I have not actually soldered the LCD onto the board, I simply held it in place. The LCD will turn on and I can see the contrast ratio being adjusted but the clock does not actually do anything. I thought that maybe the chip did not come with any firmware on it so I used my FTDI Friend to try and upload the default firmware but no luck. The procedure is as follows:
  1. Plugged in the power supply to the Monochron board, 1 beep sounds
  2. Connect the long leads of the FTDI board to the monchron board (see pictures)
  3. The FTDI board flashes constantly when the USB is NOT plugged in to my PC
  4. Plug the FTDI USB into my PC
  5. Execute
    Code: Select all
    sudo avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 57600
And receive a "programmer is not responding" error. The FTDI Friend is indeed registered as /dev/ttyUSB0; I followed the directions here.

I am not sure what my next step should be. I do have an Arduino Deumilanove (starter kit) if that can assist in troubleshooting?
Attachments
FTDI_Back_Scaled.jpg
FTDI_Back_Scaled.jpg (380.3 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Front_Scaled.jpg
Front_Scaled.jpg (409.74 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Back3_Scaled.jpg
Back3_Scaled.jpg (339.23 KiB) Viewed 513 times
slikz21

Re: Monochron LCD does not display RATT

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:51 am

I have not actually soldered the LCD onto the board, I simply held it in place.

You have to solder it to get a good enough connection on all pins.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Monochron LCD does not display RATT

by slikz21 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 am

Welp, I feel like an idiot now. After soldering the LCD on RATT does indeed work. I guess the connection was good enough to give power to the LCD but not enough to display the clock properly. I have not had time to try out the FTDI Friend to see if I can upload new firmware. Hopefully that works.
slikz21