No light clock

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nivin37

No light clock

Post by nivin37 »

Hi,

After reading a blog about any light upsetting your sleep, so I turned off my bright led alarm clock & put it in the draw. We both have been sleeping better. Not sure if it's because the clock is no longer looking at me all night or not!

So now I would like to make a clock that does not use any form of light at all. I know this will make it hard to read at times, however most times I'm hoping it will be ok.

I thought of some kind of LCD with the back light off & I'm now looking for a suitable device and or any ideas.

Thanks.

Steve...

experimentalist

Re: No light clock

Post by experimentalist »

Well one thing you can do is have an autodimmer for the LED clock at night.

To determine daytime or nighttime you can either use a photocell, and dim the LED display when the photocell detects darkness/dusk/night and brighten back up when the environment is bright. You can also change the brightness by time of day. Whatever hours you sleep, make it dim. Light it up for your waking hour and throughout the day.

The other option is to do as you said use an LCD with a backlight. But LCD backlights are just LEDs and can also distract at night, so again the auto dimming option may stil be necessary.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

All of the LCD displays that we carry have independently controllable back-lights. The RGB backlight versions give you the ability to tune the color of the backlight as well. You might find that some colors are less disturbing at night.

Most of these displays are somewhat readable in normal lighting conditions with the backlight turned off.

odometer

Post by odometer »

You can make a display which uses neither LEDs nor LCDs, out of these:
http://www.adafruit.com/category/products/252

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”